Chapter 7 - Surprises

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall – Chapter 7 – Surprises

That night, Filch decided to concentrate on cleaning only the Great Hall after he'd tried unsuccessfully cleaning the other halls of the castle. He figured that he'd have to clean up the floors one room at a time for the rest of term because of the prank that had been played.

The next morning, on the way to breakfast, all the students noticed that the floors were back to normal everywhere except the Great Hall. As they sat down to eat, they noticed Filch mopping the floor, looking completely exhausted.

"I wonder if he knows that everywhere else is clean," whispered Harry to Hermione at the Ravenclaw table.

"I doubt it. I don't think anyone likes him enough to let him know."

Grinning, Harry replied, "Probably true. Besides, others probably think he managed to clean it up last night and this is the only room he has left to clean."

-HM-HM-HM-

Argus wound up working on that room for over thirty straight hours until he passed out in exhaustion in the middle of the night. The next morning, the Hogwarts staff found him unconscious on the finally clean floor next to his mop and bucket.

Dumbledore woke him up as students began filling the hall. "Mr. Filch, I must congratulate you on a job well done. The entire castle has been restored. But you must take better care of yourself. I suggest you take the day off and see Madam Pomfrey to make sure you're alright, and spend the day relaxing."

Filch, who knew he hadn't managed to clean up the castle himself but was unwilling to admit it, said, "I suppose I did work too hard last night. If I ever find out who did it..."

"Now, now, Mr. Filch. We are investigating the matter. You should simply relax."

Filch picked up his mop to find that the spot directly beneath it was still colored from the prank. "I guess I missed a spot," he said, and then proceeded to wipe that section of the floor with his mop. The result was that the formerly restored section of the floor began changing colors again. He glared at the floor and then his mop. He swore loudly, calling into question the chastity of the mop's mother. Most of the students started laughing loudly while others, such as Hermione, looked horrified.

"Language, Mr. Filch," said Dumbledore sternly. "You don't want to be a bad example for the students, do you?"

Harry, who overheard that, whispered to his best friend, "Like having Snape here attacking everybody's mind is a good example!"

Hermione nodded, though she did say, "It's still not good for faculty members to use foul language..."

"But it's worse to treat students in a foul manner," countered Padma, who was sitting next to them.

"True," agreed Hermione. "In any case, we have to get going. Class will be starting in ten minutes."

-HM-HM-HM-

The weeks passed quickly, with Harry sneaking around to practice with his broom and Snitch at least once every week. On Valentine's Day, Harry sent Hermione, Minerva, Penny, and the other girls in their study group each a card with Hedwig. Hermione blushed when she noticed that hers was the best. It was nicer material than the others. She decided to give him the one she'd prepared but wouldn't have given him if he hadn't given her one first. Both of them were simply friendship Valentines, but they each were glad the other had thought of them.

Soon it was March 8th – Brianna's tenth birthday. Harry had known in advance what their parents were buying her, and sent a gift that went along with it. Hermione had sent her a set of books with Harry's present. It was a Saturday. When it was late enough, Harry and Hermione called Brianna on his mirror from a quiet corner of the Common Room.