Chapter 20 - The Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and all characters, etc. belong to J.K. Rowling, not me.

Harry McGonagall – Chapter 20 – The Chamber of Secrets

"A basilisk?" repeated the concerned voice of the headmistress. Harry and Hermione had immediately come to her with the information the brightest witch of her age had gathered. Aunt Minnie looked over the ripped-out page that described the monster. "That's why you've been hearing the voice. You're a Parselmouth and it's a snake." Harry and Hermione both nodded. "That certainly explains the roosters as well."

"Roosters?" asked Harry.

"Their crow will kill a basilisk," explained Hermione haughtily. "Didn't you read that page?"

"Of course I read it," said Harry while rolling his eyes. "I meant what Aunt Minnie said about it explaining something."

"Oh," replied Hermione.

"A few months ago, Madam Grubbly-Plank told me that all the roosters on the grounds had been killed. We ordered more, but they were killed as well. Therefore, I decided to wait until whatever beast was slaughtering them was caught before subjecting more of them to that fate." She sighed. "I shall have to discretely order another. Hopefully, it'll get here in time to help us."

"Hopefully?" questioned Hermione.

"It takes awhile to acquire livestock, especially from the muggle world. All kinds of Ministry parchmentwork. You'd think I was ordering a basilisk. It took a month for the roosters to arrive last time."

"A month?" questioned Harry.

His aunt nodded before turning her attention toward Hermione. Her features conformed to what Harry had learned to be her 'teaching face.' "Miss Granger, I must say that I'm disappointed that you would rip a page out of a library book."

Harry suppressed a grin as he watched his best friend shrink under the headmistress' glare. She put her head down and mumbled, "I, er, was excited that I'd found the answer."

"I'm quite pleased that you found the answer as well, and understand that students aren't allowed to check out that book, but you could have copied the information down or asked me to accompany you to the library to examine the text. I would've given Ravenclaw thirty points, but because of that, I'm only awarding twenty points."

"Yes, ma'am," agreed Hermione, still examining the carpet of the headmistress' office.

"Together, we shall go to the library and tell Madam Pince of your transgression. You will then repair the book and accept whatever punishment our librarian deems appropriate."

"Yes, ma'am," seemed to be the only thing Harry's best friend was capable of saying.

"Oh, and Miss Granger," said Minnie before pausing for a moment. "If your suspicion turns out to be correct, you will receive a special award for services to the school."

Hermione finally looked up with a hint of a smile on her face.

-HM-HM-HM-

"I thought better of you, Miss Granger!" hissed Madam Pince at the second-year Ravenclaw girl. Harry, Hermione and Professor McGonagall had all gone to the library and explained what had happened to the librarian. "I thought you respected books! But ripping them to shreds like some illiterate barbarian! What's next? Will you be burning them?"

"No, ma'am," said Hermione contritely. Harry could tell that his friend was on the verge of tears. "I'm very sorry. It won't happen again. Please..."