Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The truck impacted their car with a sickening crunch and instantly the stench of gasoline permeated the air. Despite the ringing in my ears they could easily pick up the dripping of gasoline onto pavement.

My hand tried the door despite the fact that the door was caved inwards, and the truck was still touching the car. Of course it didn’t budge as I heard the door of the truck opening and one person stepped out of the passenger side.

Their boots crunched the shards of glass underneath their weight. When they were near the door the truck drew back in reverse. I quickly moved towards the door away but before I could try anything it was wrenched away and threw across the road. It hit a fire hydrant, damaging it to the point where a rush of water burst free, soaking the road near it. Not that it was anywhere near this car.

I hissed at the familiar features. A muscular bald man smirked at me as he deftly grabbed my arms and pulled me from the car. I fought weakly, not that it did any good against this ancient vampire.

I heard Theo groaning from inside the car as he came to and was trying to make sense of the situation. When my head turned to look at his progress it was forced forward to stare into the menacing gaze of the man.

The truck’s driver’s door opened and an identical man stepped out. The twins who had tormented me for the short time I knew them. My blood chilled at the sight of the swirling dark tattoo on their bald heads not knowing the meaning of it but sensing as always the dark nature of it.

The twins had no name that I was let in on. Generally I distinguished them by calling them twin one and twin two. Not that there were any differences that I could noticed to know which was which.

I generally handed out the names each time I met them and kept them apart by what clothes they were wearing at the encounter. Today they were both wearing identical black t-shirts and jeans. How cute, note the sarcasm.

Twin one this time was the one already holding me from running or fighting back. Twin two was the one walking towards me with a cool, disinterested look in his eyes. He quickly grabbed other arm and together they placed handcuffs on me, the kind that had a spell on them to prevent me from breaking free.

Drip. Drip. Drip.

The pool of gasoline grew bigger, reaching my shoes, wetting the soles. The twins took notice and exchange malicious glances.

Twin one dragged me to the truck and put me in the backseat. I could hear Theo cursing as he realized what was about to happen.

From my vantage point I could see him struggling to escape the crushed metal keeping him in place. Just as easily as I could see twin two dig in his pocket and pull out a lighter. I heard Theo cursed at the same time I heard the flick of a lighter.

Twin two stared at the small flame for a bit before shrugging and tossing the lit lighter forward. My body lurched forward as my hands desperately sought weakness in the handcuffs. There was none.

Twin one pushed me back as the lighter fell into the pool of gasoline. The gasoline immediately caught on fire. I could do nothing but watch as the fire raced towards the car and the gas tank.

Twin two chuckled darkly as he walked back to the truck. He didn’t even stay to survey the damage he was bringing about. He got in the truck. He quickly started it did a u-turn, driving away from the scene of the crime.

I turned to look out the back. I watched with my heart beating quickly, hoping to see Theo’s form running away from the fire, safe from harm. But all I saw was the car light on fire and I saw and heard the massive explosion. There was no way Theo had been able to survive that.