1

The I checked the time. 2:44. Anxiety always got to me, especially the day before I started a new school. Ever since I transferred schools, I'd been having these...gut feelings. Like something might go terribly wrong. Or worse than it usually does. I grabbed my Shari bands from my small wrists and put my frizzy hair into a tight bun. I rubbed my sleepy eyes, hoping I could clock in at least 3 more hours before I had to get up again for my first day. I glanced around my suite sized room, at looked at my window. The cold Vermont breeze hit me softly, giving me some comfort to at least rest a little bit. I grabbed the railing of my bed, lifting myself up quietly. My mom was a hawk. If she heard the tiniest creak, she would immediately get up to check on me. I guess that's what happens when you're an only child.

Or maybe because of her nightmares.

My moms nightmares, not mine.

I haven't really heard much about them, mostly because my parents try to avoid any kind of conversation that leads to me asking about it, even if they swear they don't. I stood outside my window, opening the door quietly, a small creak coming from the door.

'Shit,' I murmured quietly, jumped my into my bed.

I hopped quickly into the covers, hoping she wouldn't wake up. I adjusted myself to make it look as if I was sleeping, and closed my eyes softly.

I heard a small thump come from outside my door, hearing it creak open softly.

'My?' I heard her soft voice whisper my name, hearing a tinge of worry in her tone.

'Mmm?' I pretended as if I was asleep before, forcing myself to yawn.

She turned on the hallway light, walking in quietly. I got a glimpse of her perfect skin and perfect hair. Sometimes I wondered where I got my body. I seriously looked nothing like my mom. People would never know that she was my mom.

And quite frankly, I liked it that way.

I felt her tiny hand touch my curly hair.

'You okay?'

I looked up at her tiredly, shaking my head. 'Leave me alone, mom. I'm not a baby anymore. I can go to bed on my own.'

'Fine,' she whispered back.
'If you need something, just know I'm here.' She kissed me softly on the forehead, leaving my room, waving a tiny goodbye as she left, smiling. I felt her turn off the hallway lights and climb back into bed.

Not a lot of people remember, but there were news reports when I was born.

There was even one of those 'People Exclusive' magazines made of us.

I hated being in the spotlight.

I hated being noticed everywhere I went.

Judged.

Whispered about.

That's why I was starting a new school. My parents refused to homeschool me, because they wanted me to be a 'normal' kid, but nothing about this was normal.

How do they expect to live like this?

To...pretend I'm normal.

To walk into school, and pretend I'm someone I'm not.

What do they expect me to do? Walk into my first class and say...

'Oh, Hi, I'm Maya Aria Pope Grant'

That look.

They always gave me that look.

They knew the names, of course they did.

My father, Fitzgerald Grant lll and my mother, Olivia Pope.

D.C.'s most talked about couple.

I'm they're daughter.

You see my problem?