2

My clock blared out its usual alarm noise, waking me up. I slammed the snooze button, refusing to wake up this early. I still didn't understand why the hell schools started so early.

I felt the lights in the hallway turn on, knowing that my mom was getting up early to make my dad and I breakfast.

I felt her knock on my door, opening it.

'Maya?' I heard her say.
'I'm awake!' I told her, trying to hide my raspy, tired voice that had only gotten 3 hours of sleep last night. I hopped out of bed, opening my door and locking eyes with my mom.

'Mother....'

'You look tired.'

'Because I am?' I looked at her, trying to hide my annoyance. Of course I was tired, it was 5:00 in the morning.

'Not tired, tired. Just...tired. I worry about you is all,' She told me softly, putting her perfectly manicured hand onto my forehead, checking to see if I was sick.

'Mom, I'm fine.' I pushed her shoulder to the side, making way to the bathroom. I turned on the lights, rubbing my eyes at the brightness. I looked into the mirror at my frizzy hair and glasses, pushing them up my nose.

Something I liked about myself, one of the only things.

My nose.

I got it from my mom, and nobody ever forgot to remind me about that. I posed in the mirror, pretending I was in a photo shoot. Surprisingly, I wasn't tired at all, mostly just an anxious wreck and mentally stressed. Starting a new school was difficult, like everyone knows. But this...this was different.

This was High School.

Thomas Jefferson High School.

Appropriate name for a school that a girl like me was about to enter, right?

I hopped into the shower, feeling the warm water touch my bare skin. I wanted to stay in the shower forever, but I knew I couldn't. I still had a long day ahead of me.

I hopped out of the shower, popping my contacts in and putting my hair back in its usual bun. I put my ironed dress shirt on (thanks, mom) and pants, putting on a tiny amount of makeup to coverup my tiredness.

I walked softly down the stairs, only to be happily greeted by Buddy, our 9 year old golden retriever.

'Hey, bub,' I told him happily, scratching the top of his head. He licked my hand softly, his tail wagging rapidly.

I followed his patters across the hardwood floor, entering the kitchen. My mom was sitting  on one of the barstools, on her phone, and my dad was reading the newspaper sipping his coffee softly. In the center of the table was a wide assortment of croissants and pastries, my parents glancing up as I walked into the kitchen. My parents, of course, were dressed perfectly at 6 in the morning. My mom was already dressed and made up, her hair done and  everything. My dad had a simple outfit on, but still.

'Hey sweetie,' my dad told me, getting up off of his chair and giving me a big squeeze. My mom pulled a croissant out of the tiny toaster over, serving me a glass of milk and jam to go along with it. I let go of my dad's hug and walked over to the table, devouring my breakfast almost immediately. I grabbed my plate, pushing it into the sink.

'Wow mom, those were really good,' I told her happily, hugging her close. She kissed my cheek softly, chuckling.

'Why, thank you. One of the people at your fathers office got them for us, said they were really 'big fans' she told me jokingly, putting air quotes around the words.

'Well, they were pretty delicious,' I told her, grabbing my backpack and heading out to the bus stop. I opened the door in front of me, hearing as it creaked when I did. I began walking out, and flinched as soon as I heard the words.

'Maya? Maya?! Did she leave yet, did she leave yet?' I heard my fathers frantic voice, knowing immediately what he wanted.

A picture.