TWO

˗ˏˋ CHAPTER TWO ˊˎ˗
o. fear of the unknown

Low growls escape the throat of an unknown creature

Low growls escape the throat of an unknown creature. Its threatening eyes hungrily stare down upon the group of utterly oblivious teenagers gathered outside the lodge. It patiently awaits the correct moment to pounce upon its prey, the desperate need to quench its unbearable hunger evident in its actions.

One of the future victims pinpointed in the sight of the deathly creature is Ellie Greene, who stands by the closed door to the lodge. Her arms are wrapped tightly around her petite body in an attempt to persevere any heat possible. Each breath she exhales is visible in the crisp night air, the temperatures seeming to have a significant decrease since the previous year.

Her eyes longingly scan over the door adjacent to her, a nostalgic feeling growing within her as memories of the last time she had walked through the doorway flash through her thoughts. Beth had been by her side as per usual, the two best friends being completely inseparable. Laughs had been emitted by the two as they had cleared the threshold, jokes coming so naturally between the pair. Absolutely no knowledge of the horrors that would later strike had been present in either of their minds, and each of their last moments together had been completely taken for granted.

A wave of guilt passes over the female at this thought, but she had become accustomed to the sensation during the time after the disappearance. Yet the heartwrenching emotions that come with the guilt never cease to capture her thoughts, only furthering the already existing pain inside her that threatens to bubble over. If only she hadn't left Beth's side that one dreadful night, and had chosen stay with her like she had done in all the past years. If only she had done such a simple thing as to stick by her promise, the Washington twins would have never gone missing. She could have stopped the prank before it had even occurred, or at least, she could have stopped the twins from venturing out alone into the cold of the night.

"Dammit... This freaking thing..." Josh mutters, breaking the Greene girl out from her deep state of thought. A slight spark of frustration is present in his tone as he continues to jiggle the metal handle in an attempt to open the door.

"It's iced?" Chris asks, his eyebrows furrowing together ever so slightly as he speaks. He observes the handle of the door, which refuses to budge even against the force which Josh applies to it.

"What else?"

Ellie forces herself to paint a neutral expression on her face, acting as if none of those prior thoughts had ever occurred. She didn't want any pity from either of the boys who stand by her side, especially not from Josh. He was the one who had lost the most on that dreadful night, and he was the one who deserved to have the support from others— not her.

"Maybe there's another way in?" Ellie suggests, finally joining in on the conversation. She watches as her previous boyfriend proceeds to fidget with the handle, continuing his failed attempts at getting it to budge.