eleven: off to the races

"my old man is a bad man but i can't deny the way he holds my hand and he grabs me."
——

Iris was worried. She'd heard news from Polly that needed to be reported back to Tommy before he heard it from someone else and over-reacted; but he was nowhere to be seen. He wasn't in the house, in the den nor in Polly's. As a last resort, Iris was trying The Garrison in hopes he'd gone for a pint or was tending to business.

As soon as she walked into the pub, she strode right up to the bar. To her surprise, she saw the barmaid with her ear pressed up against the snug's window and making no attempt to hide her listening. She didn't even notice Iris as she stood until she made her presence known. "Ahem."

Grace sprung away from the window, her eyes wide in shock

Grace sprung away from the window, her eyes wide in shock. "Miss Shelby!"

"Mrs." Iris corrected, her eyes narrowed. "Who's in the snug?"

"Tommy." Grace admitted, looking extremely uncomfortable.

"Next time you listen in on my husband's conversations, at least try and hide it." She sat on one of the stool's and smiled at Grace. "Don't look so bloody scared, you won't be cut for eavesdropping. God knows bartending is boring work. I tried my hand at it a few years ago and lasted about three months before the boredom got too much for me."

Grace smiled in relief. "Can I get you a drink, Mrs Shelby?"

"Call me Iris; Mrs Shelby feels like you're calling me his mother. And yeah, please. Gin and tonic."

The barmaid did as she was told.

"Who's he in there with?" Iris asked as she lit a cigarette.

"Some Irishmen. I'm not too sure who they are."

Iris nodded and looked up at Grace. An idea suddenly sprung to her mind. She was undeniably a beautiful woman, so much so that Kimber had taken a liking to her. It could be used to their advantage brilliantly, and Iris could get to know this mysterious women better. So she began to speculate. "It can't be good pay in here."

"I manage." Grace said simply.

"How'd you fancy earning a few extra bob?"

Her eyes glittered at Iris' proposition. "Doing what?"

"Come to the races and sweet talk a man for me. I'll give you money for a dress."

As Grace went to give her answer, the thundering noise of a fist being slammed against a table and the bellowing singing of a man erupted from the private room. Both women's expressions turned to ones of confusion as they looked towards the source of the noise.

"What the fuck is going on in there?" Iris mused with a laugh,

Seconds later, a singing man and his acquaintance stumbled from the room, followed by Thomas. "Alright boys! When I know who knows what about what, I'll let you know."