Chapter 1: To Another Beach

A/N: The picture above is the OC, Lani. (Btw, I didn't make he picture. I found it online. Credits to whoever made this.)

Good morning Hawaii
I been waiting for you
The sun is rising, rising now
I see you rising too
Everybody's waking
They're on their way
All because you're waking
A new Hawaiian day

My phone blared the Kolohe Kai song. I was singing and swaying to the beat while packing my stuff. I'm returning to my summer job at Surfer's Paradise Resort. I started working there at the age of 12. I was too young, but I got the job done so the owner didn't mind. Now that I'm 16, Uncle Jacob said I'm mature enough to go and travel there on my own. Jacob is only 22 so we get along being somewhat close in age. We live in San Diego and he owns a surf shack close to home. Jay makes boards and sells them, the best at it.

Good morning Hawaii
You have been sleeping for too long
Good morning Hawaii
You are the empress of my heart
Why don't you
Wake up, wake up
Why don't you
Wake up, wake up

"Alright, Jay! I'm all packed," I announced, zipping up my luggage. My black french bulldog, Koa, barked at my stuffed bags.

"Okay, your flight is in 3 hours. So, eat your breakfast on the table! "

I brought my bags downstairs in front of the door with Koa following me, then I made my way to the dining room. My plate was a cheese, spinach, and mushroom omelet with hash browns on the side. I snatched the plate and made my way towards Jacob, who was in the living room playing on the XBox.

"So, Uncle Jacob, what ti-"

"Don't call me 'uncle'!" He paused on Assassin's Creed. He then pinched my cheek, pulling it painfully. "It makes me sound like an old man!"

"Sorry! Sorry!"

"What's my name then?!"

"Jay! Your name is Jay!"

"Hmph, much better," he releases the hold on my face.

I rub my left cheek in pain, saying my interrupted question. "What time are we leaving?"

"Um," he checks his watch. "We got like 30 minutes."

"Cool, I'm gonna put the stuff in the truck, and then walk around the beach." I gobbled my food.

"Okay, okay! Go. I'm busy." His eyes narrow at the game.

I opened the door, throwing my stuff in the back of the truck. I grabbed my phone, wallet and red leash. After, I whistled for Koa. The small dog zoomed through the house, then fell over the front doorstep. I giggle out of amusement. I hooked the leash and grabbed my longboard that was on the side of our house. I stood on the board with Koa sitting at the nose of it. We cruised on the strip of the beach, greeting a few familiar faces.

You, yeah you see you opening your eyes
Color in the sky, so nice
And when you enter the room
Everything, begins to bloom
Your mountains keep me smiling, mmm
Your oceans keep me cool, yeah
People come to see these islands
To catch a glimpse of you

I then stopped at my best friend's house.I opened their door letting Koa run inside.

"Honey! I'm home!"

"Lani! Get your rat out of my room!" Laughter erupted from my bestie's room, I walked in the same direction.

"Mason," I opened the door to his bedroom and joked. "Call Koa a rat again and I'll make sure he gives you rabies."

"Then, thank goodness you're leaving."

I mockingly placed my hand over my heart in pain. "You hurt me, Mace."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever, dude," he got out of his room to go to the kitchen. "So, when do you leave?"

"Um," I checked my watch. "I got like 20 more minutes."

"Cool," Mason made himself an egg sandwich. "Oh, by the way, I got you a gift. Close your eyes."

My eyes sealed shut, refusing to peek.

"Okay, open them."

My eyes widen, in shock and happiness. It was beautiful, the blue smooth cover with an amazing picture at the front.

"YOU GOT ME OREOS!"

"Geez, Lani!" He picked at his ear. "No need to shout!"

"Mace, you're amazing!" I kissed his cheek, in a friendly manner. "I can't wait for them to go in my tummy."

"How did I become friends with a moron?"

"Too late for regrets, your stuck with me."

Mason and I talked for a bit until I had to leave for my trip. Koa and I skated back to the house. Uncle Jay was already waiting in the truck, so I jumped in.

Good morning Hawaii
You have been sleeping for too long
Good morning Hawaii
You are the empress of my heart
Why don't you
Wake up, wake up
Why don't you
Wake up, wake up

I rolled down the window to feel the ocean air hit my skin, the smell of the sea wafting in the truck, the view of tall trees. After breathing it in I rolled up the window. I petted Koa's warm body, the fur brushing my hand. The pup fell asleep in my lap.

Yeah, the moment you start rising
Everything begins to breathe
Here's a message to our islands
We love you Hawaii
We love you can't you see

I looked at Jay, already gonna miss his presence. He always had my back, so being away from him for a whole summer scares me. He even helped me get the job at the resort, being good friends with the owner's son, Tyler. Ty was able to hook us up there, getting me the job as a swim instructor. It's pretty easy, and the island is hot during the summer so the water cools me down. I was so stuck in my thoughts that I didn't realize that I arrived at the airport. I kiss Jay on the cheek and ruffled Koa's fur before hopping out of the car. I grabbed my stuff and waved at the departing truck. After an hour of luggage check-ins, security, and food, my flight was boarding. Like always, I was first-class with an empty seat next to me. I texted my loved ones before the plane took off.

To Jay: Flying off now, call you later

To Mace: Bye Loser! Take care of the rat for me

I grabbed my box of Oreos out of my bag, ready for another summer.

Good morning Hawaii
You have been sleeping for too long
Good morning Hawaii (Good morning Hawaii)
You are the empress of my heart
Good morning Hawaii
You have been sleeping for too long
Good morning Hawaii
You are the empress of my heart
Why don't you
Wake up wake up
Why don't you
Wake up, wake up