4♠ Cocky Bastard

Staying at Camp Exodus was the last thing I wanted to do

Staying at Camp Exodus was the last thing I wanted to do. I didn't believe their intentions were as heroic as they made them out to be, and I'd prefer to be out on my own with Oak, but for some reason that God-awful man got in her head and made her feel all inspired. If she were anyone else, I'd have scoffed at her and made us leave...but she was my Oak, and I would do just about anything for her.

"I'm glad you decided to stay," Lydia said, offering me a small smile.

"Yeah, well, it's undecided how long that will be," I replied, my gaze still lingering on the tent entrance.

"I hope it's for a long time. As a healer, I live here, but most of the women stay in the village. It would be nice to have more of us around," she shared.

Beginning to feel uncomfortable, I changed the subject, looking for a way to escape this conversation.

"Is there a place I can go to get some rest?"

"Oh, of course. You must be tired from the morning you've had. Follow me."

As we walked through the camp, I kept my eyes forward, ignoring the stares from the men we passed. The deeper in we went, the more I began to see what Lydia was speaking of. I had only seen a handful of other women, and wasn't sure how I felt about that. Most of my encounters with men had been brief, just in passing as I traveled—staying in a settlement full of them was not appealing. 

And you still want to stay here?

Oak's purr resonated within me, even from the great height she flew above me, causing me to roll my eyes. 

Okay, but don't complain to me when you realize this is a waste of time.

I was brought out of our mental conversation when Lydia halted, swiftly turning on her heels and grinning at me.

"This is one of the better tents," she explained as she gestured to the tan tent beside her. "It's a little further away from the heart of the camp, so most people never come down here, but I thought you'd like the privacy."

"I would, actually. Thank you," I replied, feeling like that was the first good thing I'd heard all day. 

"Okay, then. I'll let you get your rest. If you need me, you know where to find me," she concluded, starting to walk away. "You too, Oak," she called out, cupping her hands around her mouth and looking up where she hovered. 

Once she was gone, I went inside, scoping out the place I'd be staying in. 

"What do you think, Oak?" I asked as she landed on the small bed. "You sure you don't want to leave?"

The sound that erupted from her was likened to a laugh, as if she was scoffing at me.

"Just try to get some rest," I said, lightheartedly glaring at her before crawling into the bed.