19♠ Unbearable

"Who?" I questioned, missing whatever big revelation he seemed to be waiting for me to receive

Avery's chuckle into the snow seemed to sour the green-eyed man's mood even more than my lack of knowledge where he was concerned.

"You've never heard of me? Really?" he questioned, his expression almost disbelieving, as if it were a near impossibility. When I shook my head, he spat, "Liar. Every village this side of the canyon knows who I am. And while you are certainly a beauty to behold, your youth is slowly fleeting. You must have come across me in some conversation, surely."

Twenty seven was not old, if that was his implication. Satisfyingly enough, I would not have to lie to this man. I simply had no idea who he was. However, the wilder his stare got, the more I wondered if that was a good or bad thing. I supposed I'd find out soon enough.

"I've never heard of you, Ravenwood."

"It's Ravenhood," he seethed.

"My apologies," I lied plainly. "But, if you would please just allow us passage, we have pressing matters to attend to and have had enough setbacks as it is."

"Hmm, yes, it would seem fate has not been the most accomodating to your...matters," he noted, his stare lingering on the cut to my forehead. "Allow me to show you differently."

The way his smirk easily replaced his snarl was unsettling. My guard couldn't go further up than it already was, and I was  having a hard time understanding why Avery would lead us into the clutches of this man if there were any alternative routes.

"So...you're letting us go on our way?" I phrased, my disbelief evident as our breath in the chilling air.

"Naturally," Ravenhood snickered. "When I have finished accomdating to you, that is. He, on the otherhand," he cringed as if smelling something rotten when he motioned to the still restrained Avery. "He'll have bled to death before nightfall."

The sudden spike in my anxiety, fear, and anger certainly got Oak's attention. She was still tethered to me, watching and hearing everything I was, and judging by the wave I felt of her matching emotions, she was not happy with Ravenhood either.

"If you hurt him in any way, I swear to God-"

"Ooo! Careful! Don't want to bring the big guy into this. There's no telling who He'll side with," he goaded, not phased by my glower.

"I seriously doubt He'd side with a murderer," I spat.

"I agree!" he grinned. "And I'm sure your companion has, in fact, killed someone before. Perhaps even many. Couple that with trespassing on my land and his attempt to harm me and I don't think the Almighty would side with him, either!"

The cackles of Ravenhood filled the air, prompting a chorus of laughter from his men. I was finding it increasingly difficult not to land myself in the same position as Avery. In just a weeks time, I managed to believe I knew Avery well enough to know he'd only kill those posing a threat to life. If their slaughter could be avoided, I believed he'd go with any other option. Even moreso, I had proof that God believed in him enough to give him a second chance at life.