11♠ Under The Frozen Sun

Seconds

Seconds.

That's how long I had to find Sparrow before the forsaken ones were close enough to strike. When I saw her body plunge into the icy river, I jumped off of Beau and ran to its side. Scanning the waters, I knew the odds of my survival was thinning, but I couldn't leave her behind. If she died, so did the little hope ignited from the mere discovery of her existence.

Looking up from the rapids, I could see the forsaken approaching, their pale faces cloaked in smugness as the light fall of snow wisped around, orbitting them as they stalked closer.

Beau's urges for me to hasten only added to the pressure as I searched for her darkened hair in the raging stream.

"Come on, come on, come on," I found myself pleading, throwing the lingering chunks of ice out of the way so I could see clearer. My hopes were that Sparrow was able to fight the current, and hadn't been washed downstream.

As the ground around me cracked, shifting underneath me, I knew it was caused by the influence of a cursed one—the creation that had fallen out of God's grace. Their gifts had not been revoked, however, and they used them to terrorize those still in the Creator's favor. They were forsaken, but I knew that only made them more dangerous, for they had nothing left to lose.

"Easy, Daerden," a voice so blisteringly cold said, causing my eyes to lift in its direction. "We don't want to kill a lynk, do we? It would be such a waste."

At that moment, the owner of those words stepped out from behind the tall thin male that's hand was lifted in my direction. Much like her, his hair was pale blonde, almost white in color, and although he was larger than her, he seemed to follow her suggestions as if they were orders.

I recognized her immediately. She was the same girl Beau found lurking around the camp's perimeter. She was deadlier than she appeared—of that, I was certain.

"I can't say I agree, sister," the man, Daerden, replied with flared nostrils and a tight frown.

"But you will, for now at least," she smiled, keeping her unsettling eyes on me. "Luckily, however, we do not have those concerns for the bear."

With one swift movement, she stepped to the side and a dark haired man moved into place, widening his stance while raising his hand toward Beau.

Get out of here! Now!

Obeying my demand, I could hear the heavy thumps of his paws clawing through the snow as he ran further away, despite how much he wanted to stay with me. In this circumstance, he would not rebel against me. He was my shadoe, and I refused to let him die by the hands of these monsters.

So, when I heard him growl out in pain, my teeth grinded together in anger. Looking forward, I could see the pleased smile on the forsaken's face. His torturous grip had reached him and was showing no signs of letting go. I hated how fear started to swell up when I realized I had know idea what this man's gift was—I had no idea what he was doing to Beau.