.iii.

The following day, Whizzer stopped by just after Charlotte had checked up on me.
He came in, glaring at me, and took a seat beside the bed, crossing his arms and legs, while he continued to glare at me.

"What?" I asked, trying to get some kind of answer out of him.
He narrowed his eyes. "What'd'ya think?"
"So you're still mad?"
"Well, aren't you observant."
"Whiz, I'm sorry."
"Are you? Or are you gonna do the same thing once you get out?"
"Whiz-"
"No, Marvin, don't 'Whiz' me. I'm seriously worried about you. I'm scared that if I leave again... You won't be there to take me back."
I didn't know what to say. "Whiz, I didn't do it because we broke up."
"You said that you did it because you thought I'd be able to happily move on without you coming back into my life. Do you know how that sounds? It makes it sound like you did do this because we broke up."
"Whizzer, I can promise you, it's not. Yes, I would've had reason to hold on if we were still together, but ultimately, this was unavoidable. I was gonna do it sooner or later."
"That really doesn't make me feel much better."
I smirked. "Just don't blame yourself, okay? I mean, you even said it was my decision, not anybody else's. It's my fault, not yours."
He avoided my eyes, watching his foot turn, which occasionally made a cracking noise, instead of me.
"Still feel guilty?"
He nodded.
"What can I do?" I asked sincerely. I couldn't stand to see him so upset.
He shrugged. "I don't think there's anything anyone can do, if I'm honest."
Just as I opened my mouth to speak again, Charlotte opened the door, letting herself in. She carried a clipboard with her which she scanned until she was stood at the foot of my bed. Both Whizzer and I looked to her expectantly.

"Well, Marvin, everything seems to be alright. You don't have any long term damage, but I'm prescribing anti-depressants and I called ahead and made you an appointment with Mendel."
"But-"
"I know he's not great, but he already knows you. It'd be easier than starting over with someone new, don't you think?"
I nodded.
"Mendel said he'll make you an appointment once a week after that, unless he sees it fit to make multiple."
"Okay, so when do I get to go home?"
"That's the thing. You live alone, so you can't. You need someone there to supervise you."
"Supervise me? I'm not a child!"
"No, you're just someone who's prone to suicidal actions."
"Charlotte, that doesn't seem fair!"
"Marvin, quit arguing." Whizzer said.
"You would be too if you were in my position!"
"I'll move back in if it'll shut you up!" He said angrily.
"Whizzer, no,"
"Yes, actually, that would be best." Charlotte said. "He already knows you better than any of us, Marv. It'd be better-"
"Stop telling me things would be better if I did them your way!"
Whizzer shot me a death glare, which I ignored.
"I'll leave you two alone. You can go home tomorrow, Marv. Your prescription will be at the pharmacy in the hospital, ready for pickup then. Whiz, make sure he takes two pills every day, okay?"
"Okay. Thanks,"
She flashed him a smile before leaving.

"That's what I'd originally come here to talk to you about." He mumbled.
"What? Moving back in?"
"Well... Sorta?"
"Whiz, I'm confused. You came all the way here just to ask if you could move back in?"
"I was actually gonna call you before all this happened. I miss being with you, as cliche and cheesy as it sounds. And, seeing you like this... Seeing you after attempting this... It kinda just reinforced that feeling."
Silence filled the room as I processed what he'd said. Did he really wanna take me back? Or was he lying and just felt guilty because of what had happened?
"Marvin?"
I snapped out of my thoughts. "Yes?"
"Um... Will you, y'know... Take me back?"
"Whiz, are you sure this isn't just because you feel guilty?"
"I'm positive,"
"Promise?"
He laughed. "I promise,"
I smiled. "Well, I don't know..."
"Oh, would you just kiss me already?"
We laughed, sharing a passionate kiss for the first time in two odd months. It was a feeling I longed for and hadn't realized I'd missed so much until I could experience it again.