Chapter 2

I sat down flattening out my dress and looking at my short nails. There wasn't much to admire as I chewed them in the cell last night. Nevertheless, I was determined to not look the soulless creature across from me, even if that meant staring at my muddy nails.

"Mare." A gentle but firm voice called out.

"Mare." The tone a little more firm and loud.

"MARE." The voice yelled authoritatively.

"What?" I deadpanned, now looking past my nails to view the dining hall. No surprise it was clear of Silvers, Maven wouldn't want anyone to disrupt our little event.

"I do not appreciate that tone." He said like the calm before the storm.

"And I do not appreciate betrayal, heartbreak, and lies. Yet here we are." I replied, venom dripping in my voice. I was sick of this little talk. He wanted to have dinner, I want closure. So let's talk.

He didn't respond. Smart choice. Instead he settled with a glare, one that burned instead of melting me. I returned the favor with a glare of my own, one that would leave him electrified and begging at my feet. He held on for a while, I'm impressed, yet I knew that I had won. Quickly dropping the eye contact with me, he lifted up a menu.

"Why don't we order?" He asked.

After we ordered and ate our food in uncomfortable silence, I had to ask him my burning question. My head could not stop thinking about this--, why does he want me back? He made it very clear that all he did was lie to me. All the lovesick glances and passionate kisses were a part of his game. His own version of his favorite game-- chess. See, the Scarlet Guard was the pawn, or should I say pawns. We were everywhere, being controlled by the King himself. He was the King lurking in the shadows. And as the King, he always protected the Queen. But see, this Queen didn't want to be saved. She wanted to be out there with the pawns, yet she knew that if she was going to play the King at his own game, she had to come back.

"Why do you want me Maven? What do I have that any other girl doesn't? Why can't your mother kill the love you have for me as she did for the rest of your family?" I sneered.

"Oh Mare, still naive I see. Can you really be that dumb? I'm head over heels in love with you. But you see Mare, my mother is dead. And guess what? I killed her." He replied smirking.

What the hell? Is this guy fucking high? I mean he has been taking a few extra drinks of champagne here and there. What does he mean 'head over heels in love'? Just the other day he was mocking me about how dumb I was to fall for him. But most importantly, did he seriously kill his own mother?!

"You killed her? I know she was bad but, she didn't deserve death." I whispered. Provoking him in such a fragile state would end up terribly for me and I did not want to die today.

"Let me tell you a story Mare. And listen well. There was once a little boy, scrawny and weak. Always being compared to his brother, the better one they would say. I was always left in the shadow of them both, my father and brother. I doubt my father even loved my mother. I was a child born out of manipulation. I've never feel more hated. But my mother, she loved me. She loved me so much it hurt. She would make me live up to my legacy. She drilled her way into my mind, in a way you couldn't feel, but know. Whenever I fell down, she made me get up. Whenever I lost, she made me win. Whenever I got attached, she made me forget. 'Love is weakness' she would say. 'The only person you need in the world is me, Maven. Don't you forget that.' But the problem was, she couldn't erase you. She made it worse. She turned a crush into love, love into lust, lust into obsession. She made you my drug and I'm addicted. You asked me why, because I am completely into you. She might have made me into who I am, yet I am the one to create my destiny, my future, a future in which she doesn't exist." He told me, emotions running through every word. His eyes were filled with unshed tears, and all I wanted to do was run up and hug him. But I can't. It's a lie. It's a lie. He doesn't love you. He's just using you again.