She is Not Weak

A/N: The --- indicates that the POV has yet again changed between Mare and Maven. And just beware, plot twist. I'M SQUEALING, 1k+ VIEWS IN A MONTH?! You guys are the BEST!!

-------------------------------------------

        My mother always told me not to run away from my problems, to face them head on. She told me that no one could hurt me if I didn't let them. She's the reason why I act so stubborn and tough all the time. Whenever people would call me weak, she would tell me that true cowards are the ones who accuse others. She made me feel strong and loved. Is that too much to ask for? Am I not lovable to anyone? Am I weak? Is that why his words are affecting me so much?!

        "Mi hermosa hija, por favor no dejes que nadie te lastime. Eres demasiado fuerte para ser aprovechado" (my beautiful daughter, please don't let anyone hurt you. You are too strong to be taken advantage of). I'm lost right now, i'm confused, my head hurts, the world is spinning. I promised myself not to fall for him! I promised. What a fucking pathetic failure. I knew I was going to get hurt, but for a moment, I let my desires control me. I let myself get lost in his world and for what? For it to come crashing back at me full speed?

        I disappointed my mother, I'm a disgrace to my family. She asked two things of me and I couldn't deliver. How had I broken my promise? I ran. I fucking sprinted as if the palace was on fire. Poor doors, I pushed past them with so much force that I could hear the doors hit the walls and started swinging harshly. The sobs echoed the empty palace halls as I heard Maven scream my name. God why was I so weak?

        Not anymore. I refuse to let anyone break my heart a third time. I promise on myself to the gods above; I'm fucking done with Maven Calore, a ghost full of empty promises and hazardous lies. I made a mistake ever accepting that servant job. Well, I didn't have a choice but I would've preferred to escape conscription with Kilorn. Kilorn. How that name brought warmth to my chest. He was all I ever wanted. But that's the thing, we already knew each other and we were a golden couple. There's no excitement in that. With Maven, everyday is unpredictable and crazier than the last. Yet with Maven, happiness comes with pain, and sometimes the pain has the power to break you.

        Running up the palace stairs, I tripped on my dress. Stupid dress, always slowing me down. Getting back up, I ditched the ballet flats I was wearing and ran to my chambers barefoot. Ripping the dress off me like it was poison, I threw it on the floor and stepped on it. Purple. The dress was a purple long-sleeved evening gown. Purple was his favorite color, now it's my most hated.

        Setting my crown down on the nightstand, I went back to the closet to change into some athletic and comfortable clothing while tying my tennis shoes on. I fixed my hair into a ponytail and ran to the door to lock it when I heard loud stomps by my room.

        A loud knock was placed on my door. When the person outside noticed that I was ignoring them, they knocked twice before sternly speaking. "Mare... my love, please open the door. Can't we talk about this?" The voice spoke out. "GO AWAY MAVEN!" I yelled, pressing my back against the door while sliding to a sitting position. "Please Mare! Listen to me! It was a mistake! I didn't mean for that to happen. I didn't mean to hurt you." Maven whispered at the end. Even though the block of wood between us was thick, I could hear his voice as clear as day. "You lost your chance Maven. You lost me for life." I mumbled quietly to myself.

        "I'm begging you Mare. Please, PLEASE, let me in." His voice was sore from speaking all day but I could tell that he wouldn't stop-- until I let him in. Why couldn't he just leave me alone? Suddenly, a thought popped up in my mind. Wiping my eyes hastily, I called out to Maven. "Just a minute!" Little did he know that one minute is all I needed. Taking a piece of paper from Maven's desk, I grabbed a ballpoint pen before scribbling a note and placing it under the Queen's-- or what used to be my crown. Making sure that my shoes were tripled knotted and warming up my powers, I opened the door.