Chapter V

Kou neatly folded her school uniform and placed them on her locker at the girl’s changing room. She swiftly slipped under her teal shirt and her white jogging pants that has teal strips on the sides. She tucked herself under her Seijoh jacket and slipped on her shoes before walking out the door with her notebook and her pen at hand. She hummed a tune while walking towards the gym. It was early in the morning but there are a few clouds here and there. The breeze brushed her hair back as she inhaled the morning wind. The distinct sounds of volleyball shoes squeaking against the gym floors and volleyballs hitting the ground were the things Kou heard aside from the shuffling of leaves.

“Sorry for the interruption.” She mumbled as she entered the gym after changing her shoes. The others were already there, practicing and doing drills. “I think Hashigami team is here.”

On cue, a team of thirteen showed themselves at the other entrance of the gym. “Thanks for having us!” they chorused.

“Us too!” The Seijoh team bowed their heads and chorused back. The Hashigami coach went onto a lively conversation with Irihata and Mizoguchi. The team players began to change into their jerseys and after a warm-up, the teams arranged themselves on their own side of the court.

“Today, we will witness a practice match between Hashigami High School and Aoba Jhosai High school, both from Miyagi.” Mizoguchi announced from the referee’s stand.

The match was quick. Seijoh won half of their points from Oikawa’s services. Hashigami High School was lucky enough to get a set but Seijoh ended up winning the whole thing. The members of each team lined up and congratulated each other before changing their uniforms. The Hashigami team thanked the Seijoh team before leaving the Aoba Jhosai campus.

“When are we going to have a match with a team like Fukurodani again?” Matsukawa and Hanamaki were folding the net. Oikawa and Iwaizumi were fixing the poles while the others were mopping the floor and were picking up volleyballs. “It’s the only game we had that we used all of our combinations and techniques.”

“It’s also the only game we had that used all of our players.” Iwaizumi Picked up the net and looked at the other third years.

“When will we ever play like that again.” Hanamaki smiled. Iwaizumi proceeded to walking to the storage room where Kou kept track of what equipment they were using.

“May I have everyone’s attention?” Iwaizumi and Kou’s heads popped out of the storage room. They saw the Seijoh team gathering around Mizoguchi and Irihata.

“Iwaizumi-san, let’s go.” Kou looked at their ace bofore both of them went out of the storage room. Kou placed herself beside their coaches.

“To be honest, I was supposed to turn down this chance but then I thought, ‘sure, why not?’” the team stared at Irihata in confusion.

“Akaashi-san, I think you might already know what this is.” Everyone looked at Kou, who tilted her head a bit in confusion. “This summer, we will have a series of training camps at Tokyo.” The team looked at each other.

“Are they college students?” Yahaba raised his hand. It was bound to be asked eventually. When they call in training camps, they usually play by themselves, play with other schools form other prefectures or go with college schools. Like Shiratorizawa, who always gets practice matches and training camps with college schools, Seijoh also have training camps and practice matches like that. That’s why they all assumed that they were going to have one with another college school.

“No, they are high school students.” Irihata placed his hands behind him and smiled at the team. “It won’t be just one team. It’s practice matches with four.”