Part 17

Sunjin POV

        Later that afternoon I packed up a month's worth of antacid prescription and brought it over to the Cho residence.

        "Didn't I tell you that it wouldn't be necessary?" Ye-ryung screamed at me. Big surprise.

        "I understand that you do not care for me, but this is about your husband's health" I rebutted as I walked past her to go see Myung-dae.

        "Sunjin!" he smiled and Ye-ryung glared at me.

        "Darling, you shouldn't get up" she tried to lie him back down, but he waved her off.

        "I'm fine" he coughed. "I'd like a word alone with Sunjin."

        "Darling...."

        "Please" he gave her a stern look and she complied. Of course she glared at me again as she walked out of the room. He peeked over my shoulder to make sure the door was closed and then he motioned for me to come closer. "I'm glad you came back" he said.

        "Are you joking? You know I would do anything you ask. After all, you did help to save my life" I smiled as a tear escaped my eyes once more. I reached over and grabbed the prescription I had brought and placed it before him. "Here is your prescription" I said. "Like I said yesterday, you should take this with or just before your meals so that you don't end up with an upset stomach."

        "Are you sure it is going to be okay?"

        "Have I ever lied to you before?" He shook his head. "Then trust me." I smiled and chuckled a little.

        "What's so funny?"

        "I was just thinking that forty years ago, our situations were reversed and I was the one lying in the bed sick." I started to cry.

        He reached his hand over to me and wiped my tears away before kissing me. "I Love You, Sunjin" he whispered as he slowly laid back down. "I always have."

        I quickly wiped my tears away and smiled. "I know" I whispered back. "I've loved you too, Myung-dae."

        I stood up and grabbed my bag. "You should stay for tea" he offered.

        I shook my head. "I should go. I was up all night making your prescription and I'm a little tired."

        "Okay, but don't be a stranger. Drop by every once in while!"

        I smiled "Don't worry, we'll definitely see each other again." With that said, I turned around and walked home. Once there I collapsed on my bed and cried myself to sleep.

        Two days later the regional magistrate arrived. Needless to say the town was very surprised by his sudden appearance. They were even more surprised when he arrested Donghae, Min-joo and Ye-ryung. He was even able to speak with Myung-dae before he passed away the following day.

        The magistrate summoned me to the office as a witness. Of course Ye-ryung and Donghae argued that it was impossible for me to have delivered the documents.

        "Magistrate! That is impossible! She only saw my husband for the first time in years just a few days ago. She couldn't have delivered those documents to you! She must have fabricated them!" Ye-ryung screamed.

        Donghae also argued "She is a doctor like me! If he was so sick, why did she ignore his condition? She should be punished too!"

        "Silence!" the magistrate screamed. "After your arrest, I spoke with Cho Myung-dae and the servants of your household. They have already confirmed that these documents came from Cho Myung-dae and were not fabricated by this woman." He paused and sighed realizing that Donghae was right and that I should have at least attempted to heal Myung-dae and not abandon him. He looked at me and said "Sunjin, I'm afraid that Donghae does have a point. As a doctor, you must always consider what is in the best interest for your patient. By leaving Cho Myung-dae in that condition and not even attempting to heal him, you showed negligence to your patient and that is something that we can not ignore. From this day forth, you shall be stripped of your title of doctor and are forbidden from practicing medicine."

        "I understand" I replied.

        "As for the two of you" he redirected his attention to Ye-ryung and Donghae "you are both found guilty of adultery and murder. Furthermore, Donghae you are also guilty of breaking the ethics of medicine. You have knowingly harmed a patient and have indulged in inappropriate behavior with the woman beside you. You both shall be sentenced to death and the son that you have sired shall be banished.