Chapter Eight: A New Beginning

Chapter Eight

A quick little side note here -->

Muirgheal's full name is Muirgheal Radha.

It is pronounced as you would pronounce Ariel (so like Muriel) and her last name is pronounced like Rowa. It's an old Gaelic/Irish name, so the spelling looks funny. Enough of that, on to our story... 

"What do you think so far, Muirgheal?"

"It's magnificent. So where do you two live?" Her icy blue eyes scanned the new world with excitement, trying to take it all in at once.

Loki answered in place of Thor, "We live in the castle. If you look very closely, you can see it emerging there beyond the hills."

The mischievous prince pointed to the East and Muirgheal saw something shimmering brightly in the sky, dawn was now breaking. She wondered if the castle was as extravagant and beautiful in her book as she would soon see, so she pulled out her storybook from her backpack and flipped through the pages searching for depictions of Asgard. Thor glanced behind him at the peculiar girl as she read her book. Muirgheal was riding on horseback with Thor because he had insisted upon it.

"What are you doing, Muirgheal?" Thor asked as she quickly skimmed back and forth through the book.

"I wanted to see what this realm looks like. I want to see what is here and what there is to explore since it's kind of my first time in this kingdom."

Loki spoke up, "Why would you do that? You are in Asgard. In front of your very eyes lies the realm eternal and yet, here you are looking at a book for the replicated images it might possess? Why?"

Muirgheal looked up from her book and thought about what Loki had said. He was right, why was she looking for paintings in a book when the real thing was impeccably painted right in front of her?

"I don't know. I guess I've just lived most of my life in the books to the point where I-I-I don't know... I guess I never had the chance to live outside of my books. I'm sorry," She closed her book and held it to her chest to hide her pink face, flushed with embarrassment by her own incompetence.

Loki did not realize his words would have any consequence, and he felt oddly upset with himself for making her feel anything but happiness, "There is no need for an apology from you. I am sincerely sorry, Muirgheal. Have I upset you?"

Muirgheal had her head hid down behind her book. She quickly wiped away an emerging tear and smiled half-heartedly back at Loki, "No, of course not."

"Loki, you should learn how to better use that silver tongue of yours and not upset such beautiful ladies in your company," Thor smiled back at Muirgheal and she blushed wildly, smiling back at the golden boy. Our young prince felt a shiver of jealousy run down his spine as his older brother seemed to capture Muirgheal's heart, but he could not understand why.

"Muirgheal," Thor smiled back toward her, "we are here. Welcome to our home, the realm eternal."

She sat up and looked over Thor's broad shoulder and gasped at the scene that lay before her. The kingdom was glittering, both figuratively and literally. The palace seemed to be made of gold and Muirgheal could see the city teeming with life. The two princes smiled as they saw the fascination in her eyes.

"This? This is where you live? It's - " Muirgheal began to fumble around for the right word.

Loki caught himself staring, admiring her astonished face, "I would think breathtaking is the word you are searching for?"