Chapter Twenty: The Warrioress

"I know because—" Athena stared at her daughter, longing to tell the truth, "—because that is what I would do... as a mother."

"Well, aside from that, we can go ahead and rule out Athena," Muirgheal said with a sigh of frustration.

"Why do you say that?"

"She is a virgin goddess, so she would never have children," Muirgheal flipped to the next page, "It can't be Artemis either because she made a vow to never marry or do anything involving the likes of man really."

"I think you should reconsider her," Athena spoke, hoping to learn more of what Muirgheal thought of her at a distance.

"Why? She would never have a child, Astrid. Even if she were my mother, I don't think she would be such a great one."

"Why?"

"Think about it, Astrid. She was a warrior whose sole purpose in her immortal life was to be just that, a fearless opponent on the battlefield. She wanted to prove that women could be so much more than just a pretty face . She would never shift her focus away from the world for a mere child. It would only get in the way."

Athena thought about what our Muirgheal had said, It is true. I never wanted the constant annoyance of such a needy creature, but now I see how wrong I was.

"Muirgheal, come with me. I believe I may have the answers you seek," Athena motioned for her to follow.

"Why can't you just tell me?" Muirgheal questioned.

"You must see with your eyes."

Meanwhile...

"Father would never do that. He cannot."

"I attempted to talk him out of it, but he says that the decision was made final. Her mother is already here in Asgard to reveal herself to Muirgheal and speak of uniting the kingdoms."

Loki began to tear up, anger racing like a wildfire through his icy veins, "Father can't force her to marry if she does not wish it."

"I do not wish to steal her away from you. I cannot and will not alter the course of her fate just to appease our father. I love you too much to commit such a loathsome act against you, brother," Thor looked at his brother sympathetically, "Loki, I don't know what to do. If her mother agrees with father, then all hope will be lost. She will be forced into a marriage with me to unite the kingdoms for eternity."

"Who is her mother anyway? It was to my knowledge and understanding that those monsters are still rotting away in their own filth on Midgard."

"Those were not her birth parents, Loki. Do you remember the immortals father would tell us of before we slept? The oldest beings in our corner of the universe who could never die?" Loki nodded, remembering all the nights spent around the hearth in their father's room hearing of the old world.

"Her mother is the goddess and warrior, Athena. She is here seeking Muirgheal's acceptance to come back into her life as her mother."

"That's impossible..." Loki trailed off in astonishment at this discovery.

"Brother, I want you to marry her. I want you to grow old together with my nieces and nephews here in Asgard, but I do not know how to accomplish such a feat."

Loki stared blankly at Thor in utter disbelief, "For once, the answer is evasive unto me. I want to meet her mother, Thor. Can we arrange that?"

"I will do anything to bring you two together, Loki. You are my brother and my loyalty lies with your happiness."

Our young prince smiled, "I swore the same oath to you, brother. You know, I don't admit it very often, but sometimes I am happy that you are my brother."

"I am the most important chapter in your life, brother."

"No, you are the second after Muirgheal."

Thor faked a pout, "But I was here first, Loki! I deserve more love than she!"

Our young prince laughed at his brother, "You will always be my first love, Thor."

Thor smiled bashfully and batted his eyelashes, "Oh, you and your silver tongue."

Loki's laughter was uncontrollable, "Please never change, brother. I do not know if I could live a life of happiness without you by my side."

Thor clapped a hand on Loki's should, his eyes smiling warmly, "You are my brother. We will always have each for always and when we dine in the halls of Valhalla with our ancestors. Nothing can break this bond."