one

"Thank you." I smile to the woman behind the counter who hands me my drink. I walk to my usual spot and sit down. The café is empty like always since it's five in the morning. Coming here before school has always been my thing, ever since the tenth grade. It's now the second semester of my last year at my dear high school. Once I graduate I plan on going to a university close to home so I can hopefully see my friends after we all go forward with our lives. I take out my notebook and scribble down my thoughts on today so far, while taking a sip of my warm hot chocolate. I never drink coffee, it tastes weird and apparently gets you sick..at least that's what mom says. I easily lose myself in my thoughts while the soft piano music from the café keeps me calm. My phone buzzes in my pocket at exactly six, like always, to tell me that it's time to walk to school. I get there thirty minutes early, which gives me time to hangout with my friends for a bit before first period. I pull down my uniform skirt and fix my button up shirt before saying goodbye to the woman behind the counter and leaving. I walk down the streets like always, and listen to soft music through the headphones my friend Sasha gave me on my thirteenth birthday. My white high tops move at their usual pace, and everything is the same. Sometimes I wish that something different would come along, so I wouldn't have to do the same thing everyday. But hey, maybe it's good that nothing ever changes so there's no surprises or anything.  When I finally get to school my friend Connie greets me and walks me to my locker where I grab my English books and put my things away. We then go to the library where the rest of my friends are waiting. Armin is reading like always with his large glasses resting on his nose, Mikasa is helping Eren with homework, Sasha's eating her breakfast and Jean is texting someone, probably Marco, his boyfriend who lives out of town.

"Krista!" Eren grins.

"Hey Eren." I smile.

"Did you hear about the new kid?" He asks. A new kid? In the second semester of the last year? Weird..why would anyone want to move to this town anyway? Anyone who comes here never goes, and whoever goes doesn't come back.

"No I haven't." I admit. "Any details?"

"It's a chick, she got expelled from her old school for beating a kid into the dirt." Eren says, his turquoise eyes filled with excitement and enthusiasm. Mikasa elbows him.

"Her name's Ymir." Mikasa explains. "It's a rumor that she got expelled, but nobody really knows much about her."

"Oh." I reply. This new girl sounds awful,  I hope she's not in any of my classes. But if she is I'll do my best to make her feel welcome. I'm still so curious about her though, something inside of me is just pleading for more information.

"Hey Eren," I continue.  "Are people saying anything else about this Ymir?"

"She's apparently super guy-ish and tall. That's all I've got." He says. Mikasa rolls her eyes.

"You're ridiculous." She groans.

I mentally face-palm. Why is she so annoying sometimes? I decide to change the subject and focus my attention to Jean.

"So, er, Jean how's Marco?" I ask.

Jean blushes slightly and smiles. "He's good. His parents are letting him get an apartment with me after we graduate."

"Ha, Jean's gay." Eren "whispers" to Armin.

"Fuck off Jaeger. At least I don't jerk off to thoughts of my math teacher." Jean snaps back. Here we go again.

"Shut up Jean." Eren hisses.         

"Eren and Mr. Ackerman probably fuck every time Eren has detention." Jean smirks.

"I said shut up horse face!" Eren shouts.         

I sigh. "This is going to be a long day."

"Tell me about it." Mikasa and Armin say in sync.

-time skip-

I get to my English class and smile at my teacher, Ms. Ral, who taught me last year. 

"Good morning." She says politely.

"Good morning."I reply before taking my seat at the front of the classroom. My phone buzzes, and I'm almost certain that it's my boyfriend Reiner. I like Reiner, but I know I don't love him. We never fight, but he makes me mad daily. He's one of those guys that you date because it's what everyone wants, and since we're such good friends..I didn't want to hurt him. I also find him annoying, but nothing changes here and if I didn't have Reiner I wouldn't have anyone. The bell rings and I quickly pull my notebook out and write my name neatly on my page. Everyone shuffles around and continues their conversations until the door opens revealing a tall girl with dark hair and freckles. The new girl, Ymir, is in my class. I watch as she walks to Ms. Ral's desk and hands her a sheet of paper.  Her body is thin, but muscular.  Her short hair is pulled into a low ponytail, leaving out her bangs that frame her face. She's perfect, every detail about her. She turns around and looks at me, locking my blue eyes on her brown ones. I look for another second before turning away quickly.

"Alright, let's get started with today." Ms. Ral says, standing up from her desk. "This is Ymir, she's new and I expect you all to treat her kindly and make her feel welcome. Just go find a seat and we'll get started.

I look back up at her as she goes to sit next to a boy who I don't like.

"She can sit here." I speak up, moving my binder.

"That's fine, Ymir you can sit next to Krista." Ms. Ral smiles.  "I'm sure you'll like her."

A smirk forms from her thin lips and she walks towards me and sits down in her seat. Ms. Ral teaches to the bell, and I feel Ymir's eyes on me several times. When the bell rings I stand up quickly and collect my things.

"Krista." A voice says from behind me. Ymir.  I turn around and face her.

"Thanks." She says. Her voice sounds bored, but it's also incredibly attractive.

"N-no problem." I reply shakily.  "Ymir."

I turn back and walk out the door, Ymir not leaving my head once.

Second period goes by quick since I have Eren and Armin in that class. I tell them about Ymir and they don't seem as interested as I am. But I cant help it, it's not everyday a very attractive girl comes to your school and shows at least a little bit of interest in you, especially not in this town. Lunch is next, so I go to my locker where Reiner is waiting for me. He smiles when he sees me and walks towards me. 

"Hey there beautiful." He smiles, kissing me quickly on the lips. "Did you get my text?"

"No I was busy doing homework. Sorry." I reply. I open my locker and put my books away.

"I'll buy lunch today." Reiner says. 

"Are you sure I can always-" I start but stop when I close my locker and see Ymir, who's locker is across the hall from mine. 

"I'm sure."  He smiles. 

"It's mister steal yo girl!" Bertholdt's voice shouts from behind me as his arms wrap around my waist and lift me up. I laugh as he throws me over his shoulder and starts down the hallway. Ymir is looking at me now, she looks mad. I smile at her, and she just looks away. Did I do something wrong? Before I can even think of going to ask her Reiner, Bertholdt and I are already downstairs walking into the cafeteria.