Street Kids

Thalia's pov.

I was having one of those days. One of those days where you remember something and suddenly feel extremely grateful for it. When I was 9, I met Luke Castellan. We found each other roaming the streets of New York. Without Luke by my side, I might've lost it. We found each other the same year we both ran away from our mothers. Ever since then, we've been together as best friends. I don't like to use the word siblings because the last time I had a sibling, he was taken from me. All my family turned on me, left, or got left. My name is Thalia Grace and this is my story. 

*Flashback to when Thalia and Luke met*

I was running down the streets, away from a screaming merchant. I had just stolen a grocery cart  with some fruits in it. I ran for the life of me, the cart pulling me part of the way. My weak legs hurt so bad with every stomp on the ground. It had only been a week since I had left my mom. I hadn't quite mastered the art of thievery yet, but I hadn't gotten caught either. My blue back pack clunked on my bruised back, making the pain worse. I ignored it all. I tried to turn a sharp corner down my usual alley and crashed my cart into a wall. Falling from the impact. All my fruits fell out of the cart and I fell onto my arm and cried out. Not seeing him come from around the corner. I knelt to the ground on my scraped knees. I bent my head to cry. He scurried back around the corner and came back with a tray of Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I still didn't hear him over my own sobs. He hesitated, then tapped me on the shoulder. I gasped and turned around. He smiled nervously. He had sandy blonde hair and green eyes. His pale face had not a scar on it but it was rather dirty. "Um, hi, I'm Luke Castellan, do you need a sandwich?" I suddenly felt the urge to wipe my tears madly off my face and comb my ratty black hair. "I-i'm okay." My mother had told me a long time ago not to accept anything from strangers. Luke looked like he was holding back a chuckle. "Okay, I'll just eat them on my own." He took a bite of his sandwich making a flourish of eating it in front of my face. I began picking up my fruits. Luke picked a few up and I ignored him. He uprighted the cart and stuffed apples and kiwis into it. "Really, celery?" He asked me. I scowled, "It was right out front." He laughed, "You're new to the streets aren't you?" I pursed my lips. "S'okay, I mean I've been on the streets for a few months, but for some reason I feel like..." he trailed off. We continued picking up fruit in awkward silence. 

I couldn't help it, I took a few glances at the sandwiches. Luke chuckled, "You can have one if you want." I bit my lip trying to stop myself but I finally gave in and took two sandwiches. "Eat all you want. I can always get more." Luke shrugged, I ate three more sandwiches. Luke just watched. I finally wiped my mouth with my sleeve and muttered a thank you. "What was that?" Luke asked. "I said thanks, for the sandwiches, and for helping me with the cart." Luke smiled, "You're welcome. So I guess that means we're partners now, right?" "What?" I asked. Luke looked down. We were both crouching on the dirty pavement in the alley. The sandwiches in between us. "Yeah, I mean, I'm kinda lonely, I haven't met any other street kids even though I see some every once in a while." He was muttering and I could barely hear him until he said, "And you look like you could use someone who knows their way around." The corners of my lips tugged. I turned away to keep from blushing. "Okay. Partners." Luke's smile could've lit up the world right then. Then and there I knew, this was a friend, a warm person. Someone who was mine.