Thalia's Realization

Thalia's pov

It had been wonderful. I couldn't help wondering, hoping, that we could make it. Forever. Which was far from a few days ago, wondering if we would make it to tomorrow. But I was setting myself up for a heartbreak. Protecting myself. The more I stayed away, the more my mother and my brother haunted me. But Luke gave me some one to look to. When things got tough, he some how knew and he'd hug me and tell me everything was okay. He was perfect. Everything. And with Annabeth it was even more perfect. She was a like a sister to me, sometimes I even pictured her as my daughter. Since Luke and I took care of her. But she was so tough. She fought just as well as Luke and I did. And she had better intuition than both Luke and I put together. We were currently staying in a safe house we had built together. When, thump, thump, thump. Annabeth clutched Luke's knife to her chest "Monster." She breathed. "Stay here." I said, then Luke turned to me and nodded. He peeked his head out, then walked a little further until he was standing in the wide open looking off to the right. Then Annabeth screamed. And too late, I turned around as a giant cyclops stood there and groaned. He swung his club high above his head, then he stuck. And pain shot up my left leg, I immediately knew it was broken. Annabeth threw her knife at the one eyed giant. and it hit him straight in his right muscle. C'mon, Luke said to Annabeth then he lunged for me, realizing I couldn't walk. He scooped me up and ran with me in his arms carrying me bridal style. Then I realized we had left both of our bags in the fortress. I turned to look back just in time to see the cyclops destroy the safe spot. Luke just kept running, Annabeth falling behind. "Annabeth!" I yelled over the chaos that was going on inside my head. Luke stopped, looked back and cursed. He set me down gently behind a willow tree and charged back for Annabeth who was trying to run but her short legs wouldn't carry her fast enough. Luke told her something and she climbed on his back and they started running. Luke, realizing he couldn't carry both of us, set Annabeth down next to me and I wrapped my arms around her. Holding her tight. I watched Luke charge into battle. He got the cyclops in both his back calved then it turned and Luke rolled between his legs, hacking at his legs. I was starting to feel a little sick. The pain in my leg was becoming almost unbearable. I wanted to watch Luke, to make sure he would be okay, but I knew that even if he got hurt, I wouldn't be able to do anything. And it was the worst feeling in the world, not being to help him. To help some one, some one I loved.