Chapter Eighteen

The next day, Zayn called Liam from the hospital.

"How is he?" Liam asked, instantly. He had been thinking about the blond kid all night, on top of worrying about Harry since the teen hadn't said a word to him since his break down at the hospital. He was currently sitting with Louis curled into his side, watching the TV with Ashton sitting on the other couch, texting someone.

Zayn chuckled softly on the other side. "He's fine. He woke up at about five this morning, still not feeling the greatest but he does have the flu after all so it's to be expected. He's fast asleep right now, but I'm sure he'll be right as rain soon enough," he said.

Liam smiled at that, sighing in relief. "Good. That's good. Make sure he knows we all love him when he wakes up, and that he isn't in trouble for giving me a heart attack," he joked, though the memory of Niall having a seizure wasn't something he could ever laugh about. It had been terrifying.

"I will. I'd better go, I want to grab myself a coffee before the kid wakes up again. I'll see you soon?" he offered, his tone sweet.

Liam felt his cheeks flush slightly, for no particular reason. "Yeah, course. See you soon, Zee," he told the man in return, his voice warm as he hung up.

Louis cuddled into him more as he put the phone down, and he smiled. He had already helped him with his homework, and let him help make lunch. He felt guilty about how lonely the boy had been feeling, but he definitely didn't hate his hugs. He ran a hand through his brown hair gently.

"You okay, baby?" he asked, gently.

Louis nodded against him. "Is Ni coming home soon?" he asked. He had been asking about his friend non stop since they had gotten home last night and he had woken up in the car.

Liam smiled. "Soon, Lou. I promise," he said, honestly.

There was silence for a while, as the two of them continued to watch the movie. Then Louis shifted again.

"Hey, are you and Zaynie in love?" he asked, so out of the blue that Liam let out a surprised laugh.

"Where did that idea come from, Loubear?"

Louis shrugged. "Just askin'," he replied, turning back to the movie.

Before Liam could anything more of it, Harry walked in. He was even more surprised by that. He had expected the boy to stay in bed all day again...something definitely wasn't right with him, that much was especially obvious after his breakdown yesterday.

"Harry, what's -"

"Didn't want to be alone," he murmured quickly, as if he didn't want to say anything else about it.

However, Liam knew he couldn't just not say anything in reply. He didn't know what the kid's words implied but he didn't like them. It made his stomach jolt.

"Do you want to talk about anything?" Liam asked softly, as the boy settled down on the other side of the couch. He just shook his head and pulled his knees up to his chest, keeping his eyes on the TV.

Liam sighed. He didn't know what to do, but he was really hoping this was just a bout of teenage angst and that it'd blow over soon. He had missed seeing the boy's smile and the dimples in his cheeks.

Louis smiled. "Is Harry moody again?" he asked, and Liam shook his head.

"No baby," he replied, just as the door bell rang. He frowned, wondering who it could be as he sat upright. Louis whined, clinging onto him. He hadn't wanted to let go since yesterday. "Just two seconds Lou, why don't you cuddle with Haz for a bit? I'm sure he'd like that, hm?" he directed towards the curly haired teen.

Harry glanced across at him and he looked ready to cry again before he blinked rapidly and nodded, allowing Louis to shuffle alone the couch and rest against his side slightly before he wrapped his arms tightly around him. Liam smiled, though he couldn't shake the concern in his chest, and made his way to the door.

He was more than a little surprised to see Zayn standing there when he opened it. He was holding a bundle in his arms, and Liam smiled when he saw that it was Niall, wrapped up in a blanket. He glanced up at Zayn with questioning eyes.

"Don't worry, I didn't smuggle him out. I got him discharged a day early, on the promise that he'll get plenty of rest," he said, stepping into the hallway.

"Don't wanna go to bed," Liam heard Niall mumble, his voice muffled by Zayn's shoulder.

He smiled and rested a hand on the back his head, peering at his pale face. "Hey you, you feeling any better? You gave everyone a scare yesterday," he said, softly.

Niall stared at him with tired eyes for a second before nodding. "M'okay. But Zayn won't let me walk by myself," he said, pouting a little.

Zayn smiled. "Because we tried it at the hospital and he almost fell down. Gotta get your strength back, kiddie, that's all," he said, rubbing his back gently before he looked up at Liam. "How're the others?" he asked, his voice gentle.

"Louis' been a little clingy, but otherwise okay. Harry seems..." he trailed off with a sigh. He wasn't sure what was wrong with Harry. All he knew was that he wished he could help.

Zayn nodded gently, as Niall shifted in his arms. "Wanna watch cartoons, please," he mumbled, and the two men smiled again.

"Alright, kid," he said, following Liam into the living room. He smiled when he saw Louis and Harry cuddled up on one of the couches.

Louis practically squealed when he saw Zayn. "Zaynie! Niall, you're back!" he yelled, clapping his hands. "Are you all better, Ni? Is he, Zayn?" he asked, and Niall only winced at the younger boy's loud voice and buried his head into Zayn's neck with a tired whine.

Zayn smiled and rubbed his back gently. "Ni's still a bit sick, buddy, so you need to be a little quiet, okay?"

"Okay, I will! Can he sit by me?" he asked, eagerly still but much more quietly now.

Niall lifted his head and managed a smile. "Yeah, wanna sit with Lou," he said. "I don't wanna to go bed."

"How about we all watch a movie since we're all down here anyway?" Liam offered. Nobody complained so he set about finding a movie on the TV.

Once Niall - still wrapped up in his blanket - was set down beside Louis, on the other side to Harry, he curled himself up into a ball and lay down, resting his warm head on top of the other seven year old's lap.

The two men shared a smile at the scene, before settling down themselves on the other side of Niall. When Ashton moved to sit in between the arm of the couch and Harry, they were all sat so closely to each other, but nobody minded. It felt warm. It felt like home.

Louis leaned into Harry's side comfortably as his fingers began to brush through Niall's hair, feeling for once that he was wanted - something that he rarely ever felt.

Niall felt himself beginning to drift off with his head still on Louis' legs, but not before realising that he actually felt safe in that moment, surrounded by the people who he trusted.

Liam and Zayn felt as if they were a part of something they had never really experienced themselves before - a real family.

Harry wished he could always feel this way - so warm on the inside. It made him want to cry for a million reasons - to name a few; guilt, regret, longing, grief. Guilt that he had a secret that he was hiding from them, that he was hurting himself in a way that might make him appear ungrateful for them being there. Regret that he never realised sooner what he had right in front of him. Longing for this feeling to last and grief because he knew that it wouldn't last, and he missed it already.

Then Ashton leaned in slightly, keeping his eyes on the movie on the screen. "I saw what those others were saying online. Ignore them, they're all wrong," he said, softly.

Harry wished he could believe him, but there was still that voice inside his head chanting the words disgusting, gross, selfish, unlovable...

And he knew that they weren't wrong.
So maybe they were right.