Chap 8

By TemPhErIus

Zero sat silently in his dark, small room. The cold breeze from the window numbed his skin. The boy stared at his mirror with a blank expression, like he was entranced. Eventually, a milky white hand came up to caress the ends of his silver strands. His fingers twisted the ends innocently.

Zero's growing ends reminded him all too well of his absent brother. His other half. His brother...

The silverette wondered what would have become of his brother if he was alive. Would he be choosing universities? Going to parties and celebrations with his friends?

Zero stared at himself with distaste. With his spare hand, he grabbed the large kitchen scissors.

Would he be studying diligently? Top of the class with all his peers looking up to him?

The teen began to cut his ends with obvious aggression, all whilst glaring at himself heatedly.

Would he be in love, with a boy or girl his age?

Traces of silver landed on the floor and Zero's lap, shining against the moonlight.

Would they love him back?

Moments pass, and Zero dropped the scissors to the floor. His delicate fingers combed through his hair, ruffling and twisting. Eventually his hands returned to his sides. The silverette began to analyse his work, and scowled.

The cold breeze from the open window numbed his skin, but Zero was oblivious to the sensation.

What if he died that night, and Ichiru lived?

The silverette stood from his seated position, eyes empty.

Ichiru would have made more with his life.

As Zero climbed into his bed with full knowledge that he wouldn't be sleeping that night. Instead, the silverette leaned against the bed head with his blanket sprawled at his feet. The teen stared at his hands, and listened to the whistling of the sharp wind and the rustling of the trees outside.

Zero felt pathetic for letting guilt and regret plague his mind. He was alive when his brother, mother and father weren't. He should feel grateful, shouldn't he?

The teen hated himself endlessly for being the only survivor of his family's murder. He hated himself more for offering himself to a pure blood.

But Zero wanted to pull his skin apart, suffer a bullet from the Bloody Rose, do every hurtful thing he could to himself for allowing himself to be hurt by the pure blood. His family must be looking down upon him for it, and that was his worst crime.

Zero was drowning in an ocean of despair. Now he just wanted to sink to the bottom.

•*

"Zero~ you missed our first class again!" yelled Yuki from outside his dorm in a cheery tone. "Hey, are you awake? Have you eaten?"

The silverette hadn't even realised he'd fallen asleep. Rubbing his eyes and rising to a sitting position, he said to Yuki, "mmh, you can come in."

Yuki did so seconds after. She scanned his disheveled state with worried eyes. Zero prepares himself for a lecture, but to his surprise, nothing came. Yuki scanned the rest of the room, and spotted silver hairs and large red scissors sprawled under his desk.