Cancelled Plans

Princess Sofia loved to dance, and one of her favorite kinds of dancing is ballet. She and her stepsister Amber took ballet lessons at Royal Prep. Sofia loved many ballets: Swan Lake, Giselle, The Nutcracker, The Black Swan—she didn't know which ballet she loved the best. She hoped that someday she could be the star in a ballet.

It was a beautiful day in Enchancia, and Sofia was in a really good mood, but she really didn't know why. She felt the urge to go outside and play. Amber and James noticed how happy their younger sister is.

"You're in a good mood, Sofia," Amber noted.

"What's the catch?" James asked.

"No catch—I'm just happy," Sofia said. Suddenly, her Enchantlet went off, and when a rope came out, it made a circle, showing her best friend—and boyfriend—Prince Hugo.

"Sofie, I've got a little surprise for you," Hugo smiled. "This Friday night, I'm taking you on a date."

Sofia was surprised to hear that. "You want to tell me what date this is?" she asked.

"Dad got us tickets to see the ballet Swan Lake," Hugo revealed.

"Swan Lake?" Sofia beamed. "I love that ballet!"

"I know you do," Hugo smiled. "Meet me at my palace on Friday evening, and we'll go to the theater."

"Okay, I'll see you then," Sofia smiled. When her conversation with Hugo was finished, she squealed with excitement. "This is going to be great!"

"That's really exciting, Sofia," Amber grinned. "You'll have to tell us about it."

"I sure will," Sofia smiled.

Sofia was so excited about her upcoming date that she just had to prepare. She went to her room and looked in her closet to find a great outfit. She found the dark blue dress she'd worn to her and Hugo's first ice-dancing recital, so she decided to wear that for the date. Sofia looked at her tiaras and found the swan tiara she wore for her first All Hallows Eve costume ball at Royal Prep when she wore that beautiful swan costume.

That Friday night, Sofia was dressed in her dark blue dress with her swan tiara, and she met up at Hugo's palace. Hugo was dressed in a tuxedo, ready to go to the theater.

"Ready to see that ballet?" Hugo asked.

"As I'll ever be," Sofia smiled.

Hugo's older brother, Axel, and their parents watched as the younger royals rode off to the theater in a coach. It warmed their hearts to see these young royals have fun this way.

Sofia and Hugo made it to the theater, and they sat in the front row.

"I am so looking forward to seeing this ballet," Sofia beamed. "I totally owe you for this, Hugo."

"No, I'm just happy to do this with you," Hugo smiled.

The whole audience waited for the ballet to start, but it had been 20 minutes past the time it was supposed to—and it didn't start. Suddenly, a man came up onstage in front of the closed curtain and announced, "Ladies and gentlemen, I'm afraid I have bad news. Some of our dancers have caught stomach flu, so we won't be seeing Swan Lake. Of course, we will reschedule the ballet, but we don't know when we can."

Everyone was disappointed, especially Sofia and Hugo. They had been looking forward to this date all week, and now it's ruined. On the way back to the palace, Hugo said, "Sofia, I'm so sorry. I know you were really looking forward to seeing this ballet all week."

"It's not your fault, Hugo," Sofia said. "Like they said, they'll reschedule the ballet—though we don't know when."

Hugo and Sofia arrived at his palace much to his family's surprise.

"Back so soon?" Garrick asked.

"They had to cancel the ballet because half the dancers have stomach flu," Hugo replied.

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Garrick said.

"It's okay," Sofia said. "They said they'll reschedule the ballet, but they can't tell us when until all the dancers are better."

Hugo's family had invited Sofia to sleepover after her date with Hugo, so she stayed for the night. While Sofia was in her guest room, Hugo was in his and Axel's bedroom, reading a book at his desk. Axel could tell that his little brother was disappointed.

"I'm sorry your date had to be cancelled, baby bro," Axel said. "I know you were looking forward to seeing that ballet with Sofia."

"Thanks," Hugo sighed. "I've read about Swan Lake. It really sounds interesting. I just wish there was something I could do for Sofia until we know when the ballet will be."