Chapter 1

Hiccup flew through air. Toothless was purring gently, trying to comfort his rider. Hiccup felt tears stinging his face and quickly wiped them away. He wasn't wanted on Berk. Astrid could kill the dragon, just like she wanted. Snotlout could have her, Hiccup barely stood a chance to even win her over. With Hiccup gone, Stoick could remarry and have a son that he could be proud of, cause he sure as Hel wasn't proud of Hiccup. 

At sunrise, Hiccup spotted the rising cliffs of an island with small huts doting the shore. As they got closer, he could see people pointed up at the dragon and his rider and whispering to each other. He guided Toothless down and landed on the ground. Nearby, a group of teenagers looked at him in awe. A man with black hair and a beard to rival his father's came forward. "I am Valgard, leader of this isle. Who are you, brave stranger?" Hiccup was at a loss. Him, brave? But then, he recovered his senses and spoke with what he had practiced on the way. "I am Baldur. I come from a land many hours and days north of here. My parents are dead." He knew it wasn't really true as his father was alive, but to him, his father was dead. Valgard nodded. "I am sorry to hear that brave one. Please, let us host you and your, er, companion until you feel ready to leave." Hiccup smiled. Members of the island came forth to introduce themselves, until all that hadn't were the group of teens. The burliest of the group came forward. "I'm Sven. Sven Ulfljotsson. What kind of dragon is that? We've never seen it before." Hiccup grinned. "Toothless here is a Night Fury. Don't worry!" He added, seeing their look of fear. "Toothless here is a baby. He wouldn't hurt anyone." The teens smiled and continued to introduce themselves. Besides Sven, there was Finnleik, Skarf, Una and Heather. "Baldur?" Valgard called. Hiccup turned. "Perhaps, you might teach us your dragon training ways." Hiccup beamed. 

Hiccup stayed on the Isle of Gnoq Cay for 4 months, helping them train dragons and the like, while continuing studying them himself. He trained Terrible Terrors to carry messages and helped their blacksmith in the forge. He wasn't anything like Gobber, but still very skilled. By the time he left, Sven had been able to train a Monstrous Nightmare, Finnleik a Gronckle, Skarf and Una a Snaptrapper that they shared with their brother and Heather a baby Razorwhip that had washed up on the beach. Toothless, however, had grown impatient and begged his rider daily to travel. At the start of summer, Hiccup left to explore and promised them that he would be back by winter's first snow. The island never saw his return.