Chapter 21

"Marcus, we're not going to get to the bottom of this if you don't talk to me," the counselor stated with a sad half smile. Castiel continued to not speak and stare at her with alert eyes. 

The counselor turned to me and kindly smiled, "Do you think you can get through to him? Frankly, I didn't even know he had a friend. So, hopefully that means you understand him." My eyes widened, and I sat there gaping at her for a moment. Finallly I realized a way to keep us from both getting int trouble and turned to Castiel. 

"Okay, well Marcus, are you ok?" I asked Castiel. 

Castiel just stared at me and then shook his head. 

"Okay, do you want to tell me what's wrong?" 

Castiel quickly nodded his head and then leaned over to whisper in my ear, "What are you doing?" 

I nodded my head and acted like he had actually said something important. 

"I'm improvising." 

I pulled away from him and turned to the counselor, "He wants you to tell me what's been going on with him. He wants me to hear it from you. It's too hard for him to say it," I said and shook my head sadly, in false sympathy. I had to admit my curiosity over the boy was getting the best of me. Why did he have meetings with a shrink? What was wrong with him?

She smiled and responded with, "Gladly. Well I've been having these meetings with Marcus for about a year now, everyday. Sometimes he talks to me, but most days he just sits and stares at me. He's depressed and dare I say it, suicidal. He's told me on multiple occasions how he has hurt himself. So many suicide attempts. He feels so lonely. He tells me how he feels like his parents don't care about him. He's such a troubled boy." The entire time she talked she stared at Castiel with a sympathetic look. That was very awkward, talking about him like he wasn't in the room. But, I had to know, and Castiel couldn't tell me.

I sat through her little talk nodding and throwing in a little 'uh ha, yeah' here and there. Castiel didn't say anything and looked very uncomfortable shifting around in his seat. When it was time to finally go back to class, Castiel and I stood up. 

"Wait, um Marcus could you please wait outside the door while I talk to your friend for a moment." 

Castiel looked terrified, but I nodded at him and grabbed his hand, "Be careful!" His words flooded into my head, and gave me a newfound sense of security around him. 

I let go of his hand and mouthed, "I will, go." 

He took one last look at me, walked out, and closed the door behind him.

The counselor gestured for me to take a seat again. I warily stared at her before I slowly lowered myself on the seat in front of her. 

"Look, I just wanted to say I think it's wonderful that you're taking the time to be Marcus's friend. I can't remember the last time he had one. You are the only person I've ever seen him let himself open up to. But I have to warn you, like I said, he's troubled. I don't want to see you getting hurt by getting caught up in his sad life," she plastered the same false smile onto her face and again stared sympathetically at me. I stared back at her in disbelief. She was a counselor for god's sake! She should have showed some freaking real sympathy. What a bitch! 

"Well thanks for the advice, but I don't think that's going to happen," I quickly shot up and stormed out of the room.

Castiel looked up at me as soon as I opened the door, and I immediatly grabbed his hand. I began to lead him down the hall as he pelted me with questions, but I was so angry I couldn't bear to turn around and tell him. As we walked out of the office, I didn't stop to smile at Mrs. Blake, I just continued walking. I dragged Castiel all the way to our next class and I soon figured out that our last class was AP Chemistry. Oh joy, I was so excited. Not. When we arrived we were about five minutes early. There was a teacher siting at a desk at the far end of the classroom. She looked up and squinted her eyes at me. Well that was different, she didn't smile.