Our Special Hill

Huey grabbed Jazmine's hand tight. She liked when he did that, she felt protected, He'd do it most of the time they would walk together. They were there in 15 minutes, it took long because Jazmine would squeal everytime they saw a squirrel. Jazmine sat on the freshly cut grass. He sat next to her and leaned his back on the tree. It was late out, so the stars were starting to come into view. She pulled her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them. She thought of quiet peaceful moments like this from when they were younger.

"Huey wait up!" A smiling Jazmine sped up to catch up with the young Freeman boy. She sat next to him and pulled her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. Huey had his back to the tree and stared at the city view. "Wuncler is tearing down the Orphanage to build a strip club." Huey said plainly looking at the Orphanage. Jazmine's smile faded, "Huey Freeman, You're the only person I know who's always in a bad mood." Jazmine looked at Huey with a neutral face. He looked over at her scowling as usual. "I'm not always in a bad mood." Jazmine threw her hands up hysterically. "In the two years I've known you I haven't ever seen you smile." She said looking at him. He looked up at the sky. "I've never had a reason to." He said still looking up. Jazmine looked at him again. "Sometimes when I'm upset I think of how much the people close to me care about me, that makes me smile." Huey looked at her again, then looked back up at the sky. "There's not a lot of people that care about me Jazmine." He used his regular tone, but Jazmine heard the hurt. Jazmine quickly turned her head to Huey in disbelief of his statement. "Huey many people care about you, You granddad does, Riley does,...I...I do." She said putting her head in her lap at the end. Huey looked at her. "Well I have to be back home before the street lights come on." She said standing up. Huey stared at her as she left. Before the hill was completely out of view she looked back at Huey. The handsome mocha colored boy stared at her...smiling. He smiled at her, a true sincere smile!

Jazmine smiled at the memory. She looked over at Huey and kissed his cheek, making him blush. She laid on her back and stared up at the stars. They sat in a peaceful silence for awhile before Jazmine turned on her side and looked at Huey. He had his hands behind his head and his eyes were closed. She flicked his nose making him open an eye to look at her. She smiled.
"You're beautiful." Jazmine teased,poking him in the chest.He blushed. "Shut up." He closed his eyes again. She scooted closer to him. "Huey." "Jazmine." He mocked her. But she knew she had his attention. " How long have you liked me?" He shrugged. "How do you not know?" She threw her arms up. He shrugged again.

"Jazmine feelings are hard to contemplate." Hope I used that word right.