Chapter One

Author's note: Hello! I'm assuming you're coming here from Baby Doll, but if you aren't there's a few things you need to know...

Sam, one of the main characters of Pretty Boy, was originally introduced in my story Baby Doll. He is one of the main character's brother. Pretty Boy takes place really soon after BD and there will be spoilers throughout the story for things that happened in BD.

You do NOT need to read BD to understand or enjoy Pretty Boy. It stands alone. But in case you want to remain spoiler free, I would suggest reading Baby Doll first.

But for all of you that read Baby Doll, welcome back! I'm glad you decided to give Sam's story a shot and I hope you enjoy it!

__________

Gabe

I was laying on the couch in the den as I stared blankly at the tv. I wasn't sure what was on. I just liked the noise to drown out whatever was going on in my head so I could zone out.

That was all I did since I came back from Afghanistan. It had been a month now and I barely left this room.

But that was the way I liked it.

I liked being alone.

The room was completely dark except the light from the tv. The blackout curtains blocked out all the sunlight.

There was a knock on the door and I just mumbled something in acknowledgment. I didn't want to talk to anyone, but I was aware I couldn't be a complete asshole.

The door creaked open and I could feel Serena standing there, probably waiting for me to say something to her. But I stayed silent.

"I'm going to work, honey," she finally said in a quiet voice. I grunted in reply. "The nanny is here to take care of Jack. I told you about that, remember?"

I just grunted again, vaguely remembering her mentioning something about a nanny.

"Ok, babe. I'll see you after work," she said and shut the door quietly.

Neither of us said I love you.

It was Serena's first day back at work since I'd gotten home. This past month with both of us home had been tough. She was used to me being gone and I was used to not having her around.

I didn't remember feeling so negatively about her before I left.

Weren't you supposed to be happy when you came home from deployment? You were supposed to be ecstatic to be with your wife again. I mean that's what all the guys used to talk about, not being able to wait to fuck their wives again.

Serena and I hadn't fucked since I got home.

I didn't think either of us wanted to.

I wondered why she had chosen to stay home with me for so long. Maybe it was just to take care of the baby and really had nothing to do with me at all.

We didn't even sleep in the same bed anymore, or at least hadn't since the first night that I got back. I'd had an intense nightmare the first night I was home and it had scared her badly. She had wanted me to see someone about it, but that discussion had ended in a screaming match. Probably one of the worst fights of our nine year marriage.

Serena and I hadn't been the perfect couple for a long time, but it seemed that coming back home from deployment had pushed us farther apart than we had ever been.

I didn't know if either of us had the energy or even the will to fix what was between us.

I think she just ignored the screams I occasionally let out in the middle of the night.