Chapter Fifteen

Sam

I was curled up on one end of the couch while Danny was on the other.

We were watching some baking competition and Danny was usually very into shows like that, but I could tell he was barely watching it because I constantly felt his eyes on me.

He'd been coming over everyday since I'd told him the news about Gabe. That had been two weeks ago.

It was nice that he was trying to be there for me. I had done exactly the same thing when he and Elijah were broken up for a month.

He had been so miserable, but it had been because of a misunderstanding.

This situation with Gabe was not like that.

First, we were never truly together.

And second, he had lied to me and broken my heart beyond repair.

He wasn't like Elijah who was going to come busting down the door to win me back.

He was gone.

I was very aware that I was most likely never going to see him again.

There were times where I hoped I'd never see him again—not after what he did to me. He should be dead to me. But then there were other times I wanted to see him more than anything on this earth.

It was hard not really having closure.

I had no idea why he did what he did and I think that was the hardest part about it.

Danny had been very upset when he found out what I'd been going through for the month that Gabe ignored me. He'd expressed numerous times how much he wished I'd told him about it sooner.

But I was just happy that I had his support now, because I really needed it.

"Elijah wants to know what you want him to pick up for dinner," Danny said, pulling me away from my thoughts.

"I don't really care," I sort of mumbled, continuing to stare at the tv.

"Pizza?" Danny suggested. "Chinese?" After I didn't say anything again, he said, "He can get pasta from that really fancy place you like. Or sandwiches from that place on fourth."

"You guys can choose," I told him, not taking my eyes off the tv.

I could feel Danny's nervous energy.

He was very concerned about me, but he wasn't the type to dredge up stuff that people didn't want to talk about. Especially when he knew it would make them sad.

I didn't say anything, but he could easily tell that Gabe wasn't a subject I wanted to talk about.

"Okay," Danny said quietly and I almost felt bad.

The room fell silent again apart from the sounds coming from the tv.

I was happy to have my brother here. I didn't really need anything else.

_______________________

When Danny let Elijah into the apartment, I noticed that he was carrying bags from four different places.

"What the..." I raised an eyebrow.

Danny's smile lit up his whole face. "I had him get all your favorites!" He exclaimed as Elijah brought the bags over to the kitchen counter. "There's fries from your favorite burger place. Wings and tacos. Oh, and tiramisu from the fancy Italian restaurant we went to on your birthday."

"You describe every place as 'that fancy restaurant,'" Elijah said with a chuckle as he began pulling the food out.

I smiled at them before standing up from the couch. "I think I'm more used to having a billionaire for a brother-in-law than Danny is being married to one."