Family Matters

"Beckett, I'm starting to think my mother might be right," Castle said as he stood at the stove flipping pancakes out of the pan. He and I had been discussing the factors of a wedding for a while now and even I was sick if it. We'd gone back and forth about whether we wanted a big ceremony or a tiny one and whether we wanted to spend all that money on a venue and a dress or if we wanted to save that for our son's nursery and the medical bills and diapers and so on. At this point, I was starting to think it might just be easier to skip the wedding entirely.

I looked at him with retreating confidence and said, "I think so too. I mean, I would so much rather elope than put on a white dress with a massive pregnant belly."

Castle replied, "I'm sure you'd still look stunning in the dress, but it would be so much more simple to skip the wedding for now. I mean, we could take Alexis, my mother and your dad and just go do this tomorrow and then we could just invite everyone down to the Old Haunt to celebrate. It would be so much more simple than trying to plan around your due date."

"Yeah," I laughed, "Except Lanie would kill me for not having her there as my maid of honor and if you don't have a bachelor party, I think Espo will drive a stake through your heart."

Castle looked at me a moment and seemed insulted. "Since when did I become a vampire?"

"I don't know. Since we watched Dracula yesterday, I guess," I replied, not really paying attention and flipping the page in a magazine. "But if we're just going to city hall, I wouldn't want to bring the boys, Lanie, Alexis and our parents. I'd rather just do it alone. I mean, this is really not that big of a deal. It's just a wedding. Plus, if we hadn't done it without a condom, we'd probably still just be dating. If I weren't pregnant, we could have a big wedding. But I am, so that kind of throws everything out of wack."

Rick then continued to look at me a moment as I continued with the booklet. Finally, I moved my head off of my hand and looked at him. "You know, Kate, we don't have to get married. I mean, Cosmo won't know the difference if we get married before he's born or if he's three. It won't make that much of a difference."

I couldn't even hear him. I'd stopped listening after that name. "Cosmo? Are you serious? We are not naming our son Cosmo."

"Why not?" Rick asked, shrugging his shoulders and smiling. "It's such a cute name! He could go by Moe when he got older and in school, all of his guy friends would call him Castle anyway."

"We aren't naming our son Cosmo because we aren't naming our son after a magazine! Besides. Cosmo Castle would have been someone you know we both would have picked on in middle school and high school," I explained. He kind of seemed a little hurt by this, but I absolutely wasn't naming any child of mine after a cartoon fairy from Nickelodeon.

He then got over it and asked, "So what were you thinking?"

"Seriously, you want to get into this now. We were supposed to make decisions about the wedding tonight," I said. He was too stuck on the topic and I was far more interested in it than I was in planning anything having to do with the wedding. "Alright, well, my favorite name ever since I was a little girl has always been Alex, but I figured you already had Alexis, so- no." He nodded in agreement, so I then said, "But my second favorite name has always been Jason."

Castle just looked at me in shock and disapproval. "Like the serial killer from Halloween?"

"No," I said, slightly insulted, "But thanks for ruining the name."

"Alright, so, what about... Oh! I got it! What about Daniel!" Castle was super excited.

After this week I had to poke the whole, "No. We were just trapped in a Tiger's den. I would hate for our son to have the Lion's den story behind him."