Chapter 6

"Is everything okay, Peggy?" John said suddenly. We were about five minutes into lunch and I've been sitting in silence, not eating any of my food. I can't eat. It's not that I don't want to eat, because trust me I do, but I can't. I'm still so shaken by everything with James that my stomach is tied in knots.

I flinch slightly when John places his hand on top of mine, not looking up to meet his eyes. Forcing myself to just suck it up and calm down, I take in a shaky breath.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine..." I said, looking up. He gives me an unsure look and motions for me to stand up. Alex gives him a weird look when both of us stand but John just waves it off. What's going on?

"Come on. Let's talk in the hallway." He said, trying to subtly reach for my hand. In fear, I held my hands together behind my back.

My head began to spin as we walked outside. James would always make me come outside with him in the hallway and I couldn't do anything about it. I pinched my hand with my fingernails to try and calm down, stay present. We were now sitting on a bench in the hallway, completely alone. Alone. Damn it, why can't there be a teacher out here or something?

He won't hurt you. Stop worrying. I told myself. We sat there for a moment in silence. I assume he's waiting for me to talk. When I don't, he takes in a breath and begins to speak.

"Peggy... I know you aren't fine, I can see it in your eyes. And I know we just met but I'm worried about you. So I'll ask again, what's going on? Are you alright?" He said, care filling his gaze. I fiddled with my hands, I can't tell him yet! He doesn't need to know what happened in my past.

"Just um, ran into someone who doesn't really like me. It just shook me up a little. But I'll be okay." I mumbled. It was only a partial lie; I was shaken up and I ran into someone, but based on what he said, James still wants me. Well newsflash to him, I don't want him back.

"Is someone messing with you? Because I swear to God, I'll beat them up for you." He stated, sitting up straight and cracking his knuckles. I laughed at that and he gave me a look.

"What?" He asked.

"It's just... nice. You are, I mean. Nobody that I've ever known for a day has cared this much or would fight someone for me. Half the people I know probably wouldn't either. I'm honestly sort of... overlooked. It's nice to be noticed. So thank you." I explained. He smiled brightly at me.

"I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to fight for you. I mean, you're obviously smart since you're in a bunch of advanced stuff, you're funny, and not to mention you're gorgeous..." He replied. I blushed a deep red and smiled, looking away. I tucked my hair behind my ear and smiled as I waited for my blush to fade.

"I think we're going to be very close, Mr Laurens." I said to him once my face had become less like a tomato.

"As do I, Ms Schuyler." He smirked in response. He stood up and offered me his hand to get up as well, and I took it with a light blush on my cheeks.

We walked back into the cafeteria together, messing around and laughing. I caught Angie smirking at me from the table and she winked at me, nudging Eliza's shoulder to get her attention. John and I sat back down and I felt my phone buzz over and over again.

Schuyler Sisters Group Chat
angel: ok pegs you have some explaining to do, what's up with you and john?
betsey: you two would be such a cute couple omg but yeah fill me in on the gossip PLEASE
angel: you can't ignore us even if you wanted to, we're gonna find out one way or another
angel: peggy answer your goddamn phone i know you can hear it buzzing
betsey: ANGELICA DONT SWEAR THATS BAD
angel: oh my god eliza you're so pure
betsey: is that bad? Alex says it's cute
angel: awww. It's not bad I guess, just funny bc youre always acting like a Mom. And you act like more of an angel than I do, maybe we should switch names
betsey: oh, ok then. anyways PEGGY PLEASE ILL DO ANYTHING I JUST WANNA KNOW WHATS GOING ON W/ YOU AND JOHNNY BOY OVER THERE
pegs: oh my goooood you two I swear. It's nothing

I look up and make eye contact with Angelica, who's sitting on the other end of the table. She just shakes her head and begins typing.

angel: lies and slander. there's something between u guys and I can feel it.
betsey: she's right peggy, I can feel it too
pegs: guys seriously. I literally met him today, we're just friends. I'm not dealing w/this rn, I have other problems to deal with

I shuddered as I turned my phone off, my bad mood returning. It's not that I disliked my sisters pushiness, it's just that it reminded me of bad times. How when James and I started talking they did the same thing. And look where that got me... unable to sleep because of paralyzing nightmares and emotionally scarred and broken. I looked up from my phone and set it aside, looking up to see Eliza giving me a worried look. She's so caring and worried about everyone, so it's no surprise she picked up on my bad mood through my text.

I almost groaned out loud when I heard my phone buzz again, thinking it was my sisters spamming me again. But it turns out it was just Eliza on our individual texts.

betsey: idk what's up but I'm worried about u. Can we talk after school @ home? I won't tell Angie, I promise.

I waited a few moments, my fingers hovering above the phone keyboard before I decided my answer. Knowing I wouldn't get it of her interrogation, I replied.

pegs: ok

a/n: sorry it's been so long since I've updated this!! I'll try to be more frequent with it