Chapter One: Fresh Water Plantation

For the last seventeen years, I lived in South Carolina on a thriving plantation of crops with my family. We had freemen working the fields, and a wonderful woman named Abigail who cooks for us. When I was young, my mother, Elizabeth Martin, died of childbirth. The child, Susan, fortunately survived. I would help look after my youngest sister with Margaret, my other little sister, and we would show where Mama was in the stars. 

I, of course, had brothers who helped to hunt with Papa and would often sound the alarm of a postrider. Gabriel is my twin brother, Thomas is the second oldest brother, Nathan being the third,  Samuel being the fourth son of the family, and William being the fifth son.  

My name is Almyra Martin, and this is my story of how I fell in love with a man that's forbidden to love. 

"Samuel! A postrider!" Nathan yelled. 

I chuckled at my two youngest brother chasing after the poor postrider making his way towards our house. "Margaret, keep teaching William while I go search for Papa." 

"Alright, Almyra." Margaret obeyed. "This is an R. Repeat. R"

I picked up my skirts and walked swiftly towards the barn where I last saw Papa. Papa was working on rocking chairs. He was fascinated on how they worked, and always wanted to build one. For the past few weeks, however, he hasn't made much progress. Through, I know one day, he will. "Papa," I greeted when I walked into the barn.

"Hello Almyra," Papa said. "How's the boys?"

"Chasing after the poor postrider that just came." 

Papa sighed and stood up. "Boys."

"Indeed," I replied. "Papa, did you recently just break one of your works in progress?"

"Er--yes, I did." Papa said, scratching the back of his head. I giggled at his response and pulled his arm. "Woah! Where're we goin'?"

"To the house where the mail has been laid. Do you think Aunt Charlotte has written us?"

"I don't know, Almyra. She hasn't written us for weeks." 

-Time skip-

"Now, don't you go opening that mail. It isn't yours. You hear?" Abigail scolded.

"Yes, Abigail." We said in unison, poking at our food. 

When night approached, I made my way up to the room I shared with Margaret and Susan. "That's her. The North Star." I heard Margaret say through the door. I smiled and slowly opened the door, not wanting to distract Susan. Toddlers have a lack for attention. One loud noise, and they're gone. I climbed onto the bed where Margaret and Susan sat on their knees and studied Susan's face as she came to an understanding. 

Susan never talked. We haven't heard her say one word yet. We've been trying to get her to talk, but she won't. 

"She doing good?" I whispered to Margaret.

"Yes," she replied. 

I nodded and climbed off the bed to make my way downstairs. 

"So, boys, what's in the mail?" I heard Papa ask. 

Gabriel and Thomas scattered towards the mail, picking up all the letter, opening them up. "Father," Gabriel spoke. "The New York and Rhode Island assemblies have been dissolved."

"The middle colonies?" Papa asked.

"Rioting both sides of the bay, in Chestertown they burned the Customs House and tar-and-feathered the Customs Agent. In Wilmington they killed a Royal Magistrate and two Redcoats." Gabriel replied. 

"Foolish men," Papa said.

"Papa, isn't this good news? Fighting for ours rights that we well-deserve?" I asked with curiosity spoken in my words.

"It will affect families. Our family." Papa said.

"But, it already has, Papa. You can't deny it hasn't. The British has been invading into our personal lives ever since we set foot onto this New World. And not to mention the taxation without representation, meetings becoming illegal in Massachusetts, the tea act, the smuggle act. The list goes on!" I yelled.

"I do not wish to persist this argument any further, Almyra. Drop it." Papa eyed me with a warning in his eyes and I sat down in a chair with defeat. "Anything about the convention in Philadelphia?"

"Poor Richard says there'll be a Declaration of Independence by July." Gabriel said.

I watched as Papa paced and grabbed his reading glasses. "Go on."

"Um, Scott Higgins joined the militia, Father." Thomas looked up from his toy soldiers as Gabriel spoke.

"He's seventeen. A year younger than I am." Gabriel pointed out.

"Gabriel, you can't." I said.

"Why not?"

"What if you die, Gabriel? What then?" I said with emotion crawling its way into my voice. 

"Then I die. But I will die for liberty, Almyra. These colonies need liberty from the King. It's not right what he has been doing."

"You're right. But what of the family?" I asked.

"If I fight for independence then I might grant our family and the colonies one step further into gaining our independence from Britain." 

I opened my mouth, but closed it. I did not want to pursue this any further. "What's in the next letter, Gabriel?"

Gabriel looked at me for a moment, before grabbing the other letter and tearing it slowly. I watched has his eyes grazed over and become wide. "What is it, Gabriel?" I asked with concern.

Gabriel ignored me and turned towards Papa. "Father! The assembly's been convened! You're called to Charleston!" 

Papa nodded. "We'll leave in the morning."

Excitement filled my face and Thomas' as we shouted out, "we're going to Charleston?!"

"Indeed," Papa said with a sly smile. "You get packing and resting now. We will need to be wide awake and ready." 

AN: well, that's this chapter! I hope you guys enjoyed! I will be posting when I'm available. Summer is coming up so I will be free to post when I can.