Chapter Nine: Middleton Place Ball

The next evening held a ball. This was the second and final day of the Middleton Place. I had put on a beautiful gown that I was given by Mrs. Middleton after telling her I forget to bring more gowns. Truth was, I thought the ball and the entertainment was the same day. 

Today would be the explosion of the cargo ship that was parked right outside on the body of water. My fellow militiamen would be dressed in redcoat uniforms, the ones we've captured from the ambush, and would be bringing the gunpowder we also captured. Tonight was going to be spectacular. 

I made my way downstairs towards the ball room where a man's voice stopped me. "May I escort you, Miss Oswald?" 

Colonel William Tavington. The colonel who killed my younger brother stood behind me. His arm was out, waiting for me to take it. I chose the choice I only had: take his arm. "You may, Colonel." 

I was dumping down a glass of wine after many men danced with me. I observed other people dancing and the ball room itself. It was a golden color and the curtains matched perfectly. My obersavations were interrupted by Colonel Tavington. "Why's a lovely woman like yourself standing here, when she could be dancing?" 

"Maybe because no one has asked me in the past twenty minutes, Colonel. And that I was drinking wine and no one wanted to bother me." I replied. 

"Then I shall be the one to bother you. Would you care to dance, Miss?" Colonel Tavington bowed and held his hand out towards me.

"I would," I said and placed my hand in his. He walked me towards the center and placed one hand on my waist, drawing me closer to him, and stretched my occupied hand out. We danced in sincipation. Both of us knowing when to change foot and direction. He twirled me. It was bliss. But I couldn't enjoy it for too long. I afterall, couldn't fall in love with the enemy. Especially one who caused havoc in my family. 

The piece by the orchestra ended and we said our goodbyes. I opened the garden doors and enjoyed the fresh air. "Fine day, isn't it?" 

I jumped and looked towards the voice finding General O'Hara. "Yes, it is." I replied trying not to show my discomfort. 

General O'Hara stepped closer. 

"I noticed you were dancing with Colonel Tavington," he said.

"Mmm," I hummed in response. 

"It's such a shame a beautiful, admiring woman like yourself would dance with one who has been nicknamed the Butcher." O'Hara said. "I was quite surprised to see a woman dancing with Colonel Tavington." 

I shook my head. 

"Look, General, you may not like the colonel—and I've noticed during my stay," I said when he opened his mouth. 

"But you will not betstow upon me your wishes for me not to dance with a man who has kindly asked me to dance! He asked. He didn't threat or force me!" I shouted in anger. "Why is it such a problem to you, anyway?" 

The General didn't answer my question, only switching to another subject. "Ah, I forgot." 

General O'Hara reached into his pocket and pulled out a rose. "For you, miss." He bowed and outstretched his hand towards me. 

"Forget it." And I stormed off. 

Boom. I turned to find the cargo ship exploding into thousands of fiery pieces. I hid a smirk. The plan worked perfectly. 

"O-oh! Fireworks! Lovely!" Praised a woman behind me clapping her hands. 

At least one loyalist likes this. 

I looked to see Cornwallis' reaction. And he was furious. His face was red, almost turning to purple! "General," I said. "Do not anger yourself over such a ship. It can be replaced." I said with a soft voice. 

"I suppose," said the General. "Let the ball carry on."

"Good," I smiled. 

-Time skip-

I stepped through the mess of branches on the ground as I galloped through the woods towards Black Swamp. Once I got there, I dismounted my horse and spoke a congratulation to the militia. 

"Good job, everyone. We disturbed their ball." I said proudly.

"Hoorah!" They chorused. 

I smiled and took a drink of whiskey one of the men gave me. "What was Cornwallis' reaction?" 

My head turned towards my papa. I stood up and hugged him. "His face was almost to the shade of purple, Papa." 

Papa chuckled and ruffled my hair. "Hey!" 

"We did our job well then," he said.

"Yes. Yes we did." 

AN: What a victory for Almyra and her militia. Please leave comments and votes on this chapter or any chapter you have liked. I appreciate feedback! Thank you for 48 reads and 3 votes! It means a lot to me to see that people are looking into my story and are voting on it. I do my best to update and make each chapter enjoyable for you guys. I am on summer break so expect more frequent updates! Cya!