A Pet for Sugar

Sugar sighed and kicked at a clump of grass overgrowing the sidewalk. All her friends had a pet except her. Caitlin said she only had a goldfish and that didn’t count as a pet but Sugar disagreed…anything alive that you get to feed and take care of and talk to if you’re lonely is a pet. Even a goldfish would be better company than nothing. Besides, her parents owed it to her for naming her Sugar. “It’s because you’re so sweet.” Her mom would always say and Sugar would always groan and roll her eyes. Obviously her mom hadn’t thought about what it would be like to go through middle school with a name like Sugar. 

Sometimes Sugar wished her mom and Dad would have had more kids. At least they would be company, and maybe they could have names like Cookie or Honey, then Sugar wouldn’t be the only one teased for her name. Caitlin had two younger brothers and said Sugar was crazy to want any siblings but Sugar secretly thought even rowdy, bratty little brothers couldn’t be so bad all the time. She kicked at some gravel and went back to mentally counting all her friends with pets.

Caitlin with her gold fish Sam.

Jennifer and her cat His Majesty.

Felicity had a golden lab named Henry.

Madison had a parakeet Sparky.

And the Sommer’s twins had pet rats Swiss and Cheese.

Everyone had a pet but her! It was so unfair! Her parents had even told her she couldn’t ask about it anymore and had stopped taking her to the mall that had the pet store because she would always have to go inside and look at all the puppies and kittens, rabbits and birds, fish and lizards that they had…hoping for just one…even a little mouse would make her happy. Her class at school had an ant farm but her parents wouldn’t even let her have one of those! Sugar gave an angry snort.

Sugar rounded the corner to the soccer field and picked up her pace as she saw the other kids on the team out on the field already warming up. Sugar didn’t want to get yelled at again by Coach Brown for being tardy to practice again. It seemed like no matter how hard she tried to be early the time just slipped away from her and she ended up late. Sugar pushed through the gate and ran out onto the field to join the other kids hoping Coach Brown hadn’t noticed her late arrival.

Caitlin waved and kicked a ball to her and Sugar ran towards it to kick it back. She could always count on Caitlin to keep an eye out for her. 
“Did he notice?” Sugar whispered as she neared Caitlin who was now kicking the ball to Sam.

“Not yet.” Caitlin whispered back “He hasn’t taken roll yet.”

“Whew!” Sugar sighed as she received the ball from Sam and then nudged it over to Caitlin before moving farther away to form a triangle with Sam and Caitlin. Coach Brown blew his whistle a few minutes later and all the kids trotted over to him. 

After practice Sugar waved goodbye to Caitlin and headed back towards home. As she stepped onto the sidewalk she heard a rustling in the low hedge that ran along the fence bordering the field. Sugar thought about making a dash for home before curiosity got the better of her. A low whine made up her mind and she crouched down to peer under the hedge. There was a fluffy black and white puppy in the bushes. When he saw Sugar he started wiggling and yelping happily as he scrambled out. Sugar reached for him and he launched into her arms jumping and licking her face. Sugar laughed and tried to push him down. But he was wiggling and squirming too much in puppy ecstasy for her hands to have much effect. 
Sugar played with him for a few minutes, laughing and stroking his soft fur while he licked and wiggled and jumped. Then he settled down contentedly in her lap with a big sigh and fell asleep. Sugar bit her lip while she petted him. She couldn’t just leave him there and her parents would never allow her to take him home. He didn’t have a collar, but he must belong to someone nearby, though he seemed a little thin like he hadn’t eaten recently. Finally she decided to check the neighborhood to see if he belonged to anyone.