THE LITTLE MERMAID (DISNEY VERSION)

Once upon a time, there was a little mermaid named Ariel. She was the youngest daughter of the king of the sea, King Triton, but she was always dreaming about what life would be like on land.

Ariel loved everything to do with the world above. She had a huge collection of things that had fallen off of the human’s boats into the ocean and trinkets that had gone down with sinking ships. She didn’t know what any of them were called, so she invented names for everything: gizmos, gadgets, whoozits and whatzits, and thingamabobs, of course. But she wasn’t content, no matter how many things she had, and she often swam to the surface to see if she could see any humans up close.

 But she wasn’t content, no matter how many things she had, and she often swam to the surface to see if she could see any humans up close

One night, she swam to the surface and saw a grand ship. Standing at the helm was a handsome young man, a prince. Ariel fell in love with the prince as soon as she saw him.

Suddenly, the waves became rough and the ship was tossed up and down until it finally tipped over, throwing everyone on board into the ocean. Ariel saw the prince was sinking in the water, unconscious, and she dove down to rescue him. She brought him up to the surface and swam to the shore, but he would not wake up.

Ariel gently lay the prince down on the beach and sang to him as the waves washed up around him. She stayed with him until the sun came up, singing a pure and beautiful melody.

Finally, the prince fluttered his eyes open. The little mermaid knew she couldn’t be seen by a human, so she quickly dove back into the water.

A man came down the beach looking for the prince, asking him what had happened. The prince couldn’t remember. Someone had saved his life, a young woman. He could still hear her beautiful singing voice in his head, but had never seen her face. The man was sure the prince had either been dreaming or had hurt his head, so he hurried him back to the castle to see a doctor.

Ariel was more determined than ever to return to the surface and find the prince that she was so in love with. Her best friend, a fish named Flounder, didn’t think it was a good idea – he was scared that something bad might happen. When she asked her father, King Triton, he forbade her from ever going to the surface again.

She was determined to find a way to walk on land with the humans, to trade her fins for legs and feet. The crab Sebastian tried to convince her that life was much better under the sea, but she wouldn’t listen. Ariel went to see the witch, Ursula, to see if she could help.

Ursula agreed to help Ariel, but there was a catch. Thewitch would turn the little mermaid into a human, but Ariel would not be able to talk or sing – she would have no voice at all! Plus, Ariel would have to get the prince to kiss her before three days were up. If not, her soul would belong to Ursula, and she would be a prisoner forever in her garden of poor unfortunate souls.

Despite the terrible conditions of the agreement, Ariel signed her name and Ursula made her sing so that she could use a magic spell to steal her voice. She cast a spell on Ariel to turn her into a human.