Chapter Three, Part 2

As the nobles finished their meal, the Keller left the table to prepare the Judging. She took a parchment from the door guard and pored over it. There was nothing, it seemed, that she did not have a hand in.

Lilian took up her seat on the throne with the Exemplar placed at her right, both Princesses to her left, and the Wraith behind her, pink eyes alert. The Keller read from the parchment, declaring the pertinent charges. Each offender was given a chance to speak in defense, and then—unless further investigation was needed—the Queen would consult her aids and sentence the accused.

The first defendant came from the dungeons, shackled at the ankles and held by a pair of soldiers. He was charged with murder. Neighbors had already given testimony. After a brief discussion among the judges, he was sentenced to a lifetime of labor in service to the Crown.

The second case was more complex. A woman was accused of using a siren to lure male customers into her bestiary. There was no specific law being broken, but the Queen—at Miriam’s urging—judged in favor of having the creature removed with no penalty to the owner.

At first, Asher didn’t recognize the third defendant, hauled in by a trio of guards. Slouched in half-consciousness, the rabble-rouser didn’t look so huge. Bandages wrapped around his head, hiding the lowered face. Somehow the knife had been removed. Queen Lilian peered forward with a face verging on disbelief as the Keller announced the charges.

“This man was arrested near the Southern border by Galen of Southwind and brought here for judgment. The charges are attempted murder, sedition, and treason against the Crown. Interrogation yielded no information. Name unknown—”

“She knows my name,” the prisoner said, lifting his head with effort. His single green eye shone between the bandages, and he produced a wide, lunatic smile.

Across from him, the Queen stood, her eyes wild. If she did know the name, she didn’t say it, but it was evident that she knew the man. Asher looked back and forth between them, along with everyone else. He remembered the prisoner’s words: the whore Queen.

Lilian ignored her counterparts. “Sedition?” she spat, and then gave one haughty laugh. “Galen was mistaken, then. Murder, yes, treason, yes, but not sedition.”

Asher remembered that the prisoner’s fate was tied to Southwind’s. Reinforcements would not be sent if this man was not deemed a rebel.

The Queen trembled. “Death,” she said.

The Princesses turned and Sir Jerrold leaned back in surprise. “If the charge is sedition,” he said, “perhaps further interrogation is in order?”

“It is not sedition,” the Queen said, booming. “This man is guilty of the murder of Princess Margaret, and at dawn he will hang by the neck.”

The shock spread in a wave through the faces around the room. The Exemplar bowed his head; the Princesses said nothing. Asher didn’t know who Margaret was.

“Very well,” the Keller said. It was clear that such brusque judgments were not the norm. She motioned to the guards.

As they pulled the prisoner back out of the chamber, he called out in a hoarse voice. “You’ll be judged as well, Lilian, before the end!”

Then he was gone, and the door was shut. The Queen, red-faced, stormed from the chamber with the Wraith as her shadow. Passing Asher, she stopped suddenly and turned her distraught face to him. She made to speak, burning him with her eyes, but then she shook her head, shut her mouth, and continued out of the throne room.

                                                                 ★

Thanks for reading!                     Please vote if you're enjoying the ride!

                          visit www.beautifulbooks.com for more info