1 - The Drive

(Y/N) sighed as her grip on the steering wheel tightened. She was tired of driving. She pushed herself for hours without stopping - not even to eat or use the bathroom. She wanted to get to Fairvale as soon as she could.

She had no idea what kind of house she wanted yet. She just knew she wanted something in this small town, to ensure she would have peace and tranquillity. That thought had motivated her through the drive.

But truthfully, this trip was kicking her ass. She felt like she was about to die. Looking up through the slightly dirty windshield, she saw that the sky was clear but overcast - it would most likely rain soon. The precipitation would slick the roads and hinder her view of the road. If she fell asleep behind the wheel, the slippery road would just ensure her death that much more.

(Y/N) needed to stop somewhere soon. A hotel or motel would be the best option right now. She huffed hopelessly. The road seemed to stretch on forever, and the bleak, stripped landscape around her made it seem as if there was no one around for miles. The young woman turned on the radio of her '57 Chevy Bel Air, with the intention of lifting her spirits and keeping her awake for a while longer.

A soft, melodic tune emitted from the radio.

Are you lonesome tonight

Do you miss me tonight?

Are you sorry we drifted apart?

Does your memory stray to a brighter sunny day

When I kissed you and called you sweetheart?

"Nooo.." the (h/c) haired female mumbled as she changed the station. Elvis Presley's voice was threatening to lull her to sleep. A different, more fast paced song played. She tuned in when they were already a few verses into it.

Tryin' to find somebody

To take away these blues

"She don't love me"

Hear them singing in the sun

Payday's coming when my work is all done

"That's better," she said contently as the guitar and upbeat vocals played. Her grip on the steering wheel relaxed a bit and she began to hum along. When the song faded out, a large neon sign caught her attention. It read, BATES MOTEL. Underneath the name, it said NO VACANCY. Only the word vacancy was lit, indicating there are some rooms available.

Yes! (Y/N) mentally cheered as a grin spread across her face. This would probably be the only motel she'd see for a good distance, so she gently started applying the brakes and put on her turn signal. She turned into the parking lot and parked, observing the area.

The parking lot wasn't paved, but stripped of nearly all grass. The only vegetation was under the neon sign, and even there was barely any grass. The motel had thirteen doors, and it curved around slightly at the last few cabins. The building itself consisted of light colors and brown, in much contrast to the large manor on the hill behind it. The motel gave (Y/N) a warm and comforting vibe, whilst the house did otherwise. It was a large scale house, with a long stairway snaking up the hill to it. It was painted with dark colors, giving it an eerie aura. There were a few trees accompanying the house, but for the most part the land had been cleared out.

"Better than nothing, I guess," (Y/N) said to herself as she grabbed her purse and got out of her car. She let out the breath that she forgot she had been holding as she approached the first door. She gripped the doorknob, hesitating slightly before turning it and pushing the door open. It groaned the further it was pushed. The (h/c) haired woman tried to ignore that as she peeked in the room, looking around. This was where she needed to be - the desk and room keys hanging on the wall indicated that.