The Wrights Come To Town

"I don't think I'll ever smile again." I say as Gillbert puts his arms around me. "Diana and Fred are coming tomorrow." It has been 4 days since Joyce's passing.

"That's great." Gil says.

"No, it's not. They're coming to see their goddaughter. But they don't know.....they don't know.....that she's.....dead." I bury my face into Gilbert's chest. "I love you Gilbert."

"I love you too, Anne." He wipes my eyes as I look up. "When are they coming?"

"Today, I did tell you, didn't I? I meant to write them and tell them not to come, but by the time I remembered it was too late. The letter would get there after they came back." I say. There's the noise of horses riding up the drive. I bury my face in his chest again. "I can't face them, Gil! I just CANNOT! I thought I knew what the Depths of Despair was, but this is really what it is!" I sob again.

"Shhhh, Anne, calm down. Fred and Diana will understand, and the kids aren't coming. You told me they were staying with Diana's mother." He says. I keep sobbing. There's a knock on the door. "I'll get it. You go and sit down." I shake my head.

"No, Gil. No. I must face them." I say. He holds out his hand for me to hold, but I grab his arm, clutching it for dear life. "Gracious Providence, please help us get through this." Gil opens the door to reveal a smiling Diana and Fred. They see our sad faces and immediately lose the smiles.

"Anne? Gilbert? What's wrong?" Diana says.

"Oh Diana...."