prologue

PROLOGUE

AVERY EVELYN LONGBOTTOM STOOD IN Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, looking at herself in the mirror

AVERY EVELYN LONGBOTTOM STOOD IN Moaning Myrtle's bathroom, looking at herself in the mirror. She screamed in frustration before punching the mirror. Shards of glass dung into her skin, causing her to wince in pain.

"Stupid Malfoy," she muttered, wiping away the blood on her fist.

Lucius Malfoy and Avery Longbottom were Hogwarts' it couple. They were together for five years, which was long for teenagers. The two were quite adorable together. Lucius would take Avery on romantic outgoings and in return Avery would watch quidditch with him and they would get into snowball fights in the winter. Lucius was the romantic boyfriend that every girl wanted and Avery was the tomboy that every boy wanted.

Avery could care less about the boys wanting her. She only wanted Lucius. As much as people hated him and despite how rude he could be, Avery loved him. She loved him with all her heart, and he crushed it.

"I'm fucking worthless!" Avery growled, still looking in the shattered mirror. "What the bloody hell is wrong with me?"

Earlier that day, about ten-fifteen minutes ago, Lucius dumped her. She was leaving the changing room because quidditch practice had just ended. The hufflepuff team was entering as she left, some growling at her.

"Hey babe, I thought you had an essay to write for Slughorn?" Avery pecked Lucius on the cheek. He just looked down at his feet. This should have been the first sign that he was going to end things, but Avery refused to believe it.

"Listen Ave, we need to talk," he whispered. Sign two, the line 'we need to talk'. Avery should've acknowledged this, but she didn't.

"Sure, what's up?" Lucius took a deep breath.

"I think we need to break up." The smile that was on Avery's face transformed into a frown.

"What?"

"This isn't working. It isn't what it use to be," he explained.

"Is this because I'm not as developed as the other girls? I can't control that Luke!"

"It's not you Ave, it's me." That was when Avery snapped. She smacked Lucius across the face, causing some of the hufflepuff team to renter the change room.

"You did not just use that crap on me!"

"Just let me explain Ave, please."

"Don't!" Avery screamed, storming away from her ex. "I hope you fucking die!" She began to run to the only place she'd be left alone, Moaning Myrtle's bathroom.

That's how Avery ended up in the bathroom, holding onto her fist. Angry tears were running down her face. The bathroom door slowly opened, causing Avery to sniffle, trying to remain quiet.

"Oh my! Are you okay?" The girl asked, running towards Avery.

"I'm fine," she cried out, whimpering quietly. Avery's lip was shaking, the girl frowned and gave her a hug. The tears now became sad ones.

"Let's go to Madam Pomfrey."

"No, people will see me cry, I can have that," Avery mumbled, her face resting in the nook of the girl's neck.

"I'll go get Madam Pomfrey then." The girl lightly moved Avery away from her and stood up. "What's your name, so I can tell Madam Pomfrey?"

"Avery, Avery Longbottom." She smiled at Avery softly.

"Nice to meet you Avery, I'm Kristina Bouvier, but I go by Tina." Kristina turned away from Avery and ran out of the washroom. Avery curled up into a small ball, watching the blood flow out of her hand.

"Stupid Malfoy, stupid me."