Chapter 1 (prolouge): Doubt is death

(Y/N) POV

My sword stuck in the ground in front of me and I took my helmet off as I was standing on a cliff, overlooking a large, quiet and snowy forest, at the end of which was the shore of the cold, icy northern sea. But I knew that this peacefulness wouldn't last.

Tomorrow the Blackstone Legion will start their attack on the last strategic position of the Vikings, that Apollyon had on her list. I didn't think about that at the moment.

I was trying to manage all the things in my mind. My thoughts were full of unanswered questions about Apollyon, her tactics, even her true goals, thrown together with cryptic answers, given to me by Apollyon herself, which still confused me. Even though most of the answers she gave me seemed pretty straightforward, their true meanings were still unknown.

While scrambling through my thoughts I did not notice that someone came up behind me until said person stood directly beside me, silently admiring the scenery.

I looked down and saw that it was Mercy, the peacekeeper.

„What brings you here?" I asked after looking back up.

Mercy: „Stone and some of the others were worried about you since you left without saying a word." She stated in a calm voice.

„Tell the others, that I'm fine, just trying to sort out my thoughts.." I told her, trying not to show that I was worried.

It was because of the doubts I was having about Apollyon. All of us knew that if you would protest or just have the slightest of a doubt, it could end up pretty badly for us. Something we were constantly reminded of when a dumb footman would try to protest... As far as I know, none of them survived.

Mercy: „What is troubling you (Y/N)?" she asked with a slight hint of curiosity.

I stayed silent and looked back at her. Only then I noticed that she took her mask off, so that I could see a loose strain of her beautiful brown hair fall in front of her also brown eyes, before she brushed it away.

Mercy: „I asked you a question (Y/N).." she said turning to me and looking me straight in the eyes.

I snapped out of the trance the admiration of her put me in and quickly answered: „Nothing you need to worry about..."

Mercy: „You seem distracted. You do know that hesitation kills you in battle." she reminded me plainly maybe even a bit cold.

Even with that tone in her voice, I knew that, even though I once heard her talking to herself about not being able to feel sorrow after a comrades death, she cared about others although she didn't show it.. or maybe even know it.

„You don't need to remind me Mercy.."

Mercy: „Then what is it you are distracted by?" she asked in the same tone.

I looked around making sure that there was no one else around. „It's about Apollyon... I'm starting to doubt her.. everything about her. And before you say anything, I know that if someone finds out that would be my death sentence, but I trust you Mercy..."

Mercy's POV

I looked at him a bit dumbfounded mixed with shock. He just confessed to ME that he had doubts about Apollyon because he trusted me. I didn't really know how to react...

„But... Why me?" I asked with slight confusion.

(Y/N):„I didn't know how Cross nor Stone would react and because I greatly respect you."

I could feel my face heat up when he said that. I quickly turned away before he could see it.

„I'm glad you trust me as well as respect me." I said, trying to get my calm voice back.

(Y/N): „What about you, have you felt like you doubt Apollyon as well?"

„I've been having some thoughts about her and why is she so obsessed with this war."

He then turned to me and gave me a look of understanding.

(Y/N): „Then you know what I'm talking about. You know that there is something that isn't right here.."

I hesitantly nodded. „Yes, I do, but we can't do anything against it... If Apollyon would get wind of this she would kill us on the spot"

(Y/N): „But we have to intervene at some point, or can you just stand aside while she lets her men execute innocents like she did before!" He said while trying to keep his voice down.

„Just wait till the battle tomorrow. Maybe then we will get our answers... For now, let's just go back to the camp and get some rest.." I said turning around and starting to walk back to our camp.