Chapter 8: The Crusade

Ashfeld / Marching Path / 2 Years after the confrontation at the Legions Truce Chappell

(Y/N) POV

It took the Samurai nearly 2 years to prepare their troops. Now they had already marched to the Blackstone Keep...

through our land.

Something most of us had an uneasy feeling about, including me.

Even though I allowed them to pass, it still was... strange... to see them marching through Ashfeld. Wrong, maybe. Tensions between our and their soldiers were not rare, fights also, fists fights often solved by the officers at hand. Most of the time at least.

But it was necessary.

While the Samurais were training their soldiers, we changed our strategy.

After we had captured every Blackstone fortress, aside from the Blackstone Keep, Apollyon's residenz, we heavily fortified every road and castle leading to it.

With every time they tried to break through we further decimated their numbers and the longer they waited to attack the better we could fortify our positions, and the longer our castle would hold the better we could prepare for the counterattack.

Our army grew with every week. Reinforcements from the Iron Legion in the south continually arrived in Ashfeld, often also bringing more war machinery, often times only carrying the essential parts.

But that was more than enough.

Marching further and closer to the Keep we saw more and more hanged Blackstone soldiers by the side of the road.

Normally a gruesome sight but after so many years of war... if it's not someone you knew, you just don't care anymore.

Bit by bit fewer trees grew alongside the road and the closer we got to our destination, more trees were chopped down.

The dirt road ended in a clearing on a hill. Soldiers in green armour ran around everywhere. Either from tent to tent, which were in the back of the encampment, delivering messages to officers or caring materials to different places.

In the middle of it all, on the highest point of the camp, stood catapults and trebuchets. Some were under construction, others loaded and ready to be fired.

The soldiers behind me that I was marching with dispersed searching for their assigned officers or helping out others.

Two wardens stayed with me and followed me to the main tent.

They then stood guard on either side of the entrance.

When I entered I saw Mercy and Stone leaning over a table which was littered with maps and orders.

The guards in the back of the tent saluted and I told them to stand down.

I joined Mercy at the table and asked what the current situation was.

Mercy: „Cross will catch up to the Samurais in a few hours. They broke through the first few gates but they'll take a bit until they can reach Apollyon. When we don't know." She explained pointing at different maps one showing the land around the keep and a wooden figure standing there were Cross' army should be at the moment, and one showing the Keep itself with markers where the Samurai had already broken through.

Stone: „Most of the catapults are ready to be used. Just waiting for your orders." he said sliding over a map of the camp. A quick sketch of the area showing the position of the catapults and tents.

I nod. „Then we start right now. The more we help the Samurai right now the easier they and Cross will have it later. We start roughly here." I point at the map of the keep quite a bit behind the point the Samurai have already reached. „Our priority will be enemy catapults and fortifications so that once they break through that gate," I again point at the map. „they won't have too much resistance. The longer they can fight the better."

Stone: „Less of our troops will get in danger."

(Y/N): „And they'll storm right into the wolf's den."

Mercy: „Do you have also something else in mind regarding the Samurai?"

(Y/N): „Only if need be."

A short pause then Stone raised his voice. „I'll give the command through.", he quickly said, giving a quick look to Mercy, then taking the map and a quill and went outside, waving the guards with him.

Once they were outside of the tent Mercy and I turned to each other.

I gave her a quite long, and passionate, kiss on the lips, quickly returned by her.

Her lips tasted sweet, as always.

She got closer to me and put her arms around my neck, then we parted lips.

Mercy: „Today it will finally be over."

(Y/N): „I will make sure it is."

Mercy: „What will we do afterwards?"

(Y/N): „Our people will need a leader but I'm sure we can take some time for us." I said with a smile.

Mercy: „I quite like that idea." she said with a small grin on her lips.

(Y/N): „But first we need to concentrate." I said, breaking the moment, cursing myself in my head for doing so. „We have a battle to fight."

Mercy: „Yes... we do... Go command your troops. They'll need you. I'll stay here in case any messages arrive..."

(Y/N): „Te amo." („I love you.")

She puts her hand to my cheek and passionately kiss each other again. After we part I linger for a moment before exiting the tent.

I walk up the hill and stand in the middle of the catapults next to Stone.

Stone: „The Catapults are ready." He simply stated.

I look out to the Keep.

Fires light the path the fighting has taken.

The walls are crumbling.

Now they shall fall.

We wanted a revolution... Now the Crusade is at it's final.

Sorry that it took me a while to get this out but I was sick and school is... school 

I hate it.

Hope you liked it, still, and have a nice day. ^^