Chapter 4: The answer (Part 1)

(Y/N) POV

This was the last night before we left this frozen hell the Vikings call their home. The cold took its toll on every one of us, on some more than others. Mercy told me that in the last few days at least a dozen men died of disease or the cold itself.

3 days had passed and I was waiting for Mercy but it was already pretty late so she should have been there already. I wanted to look for her but I kept the promise I made ...Now I wish I hadn't.

The night before, as I was falling asleep, I heard sounds of a fight, iron clashing against iron, far away in the distance... in the direction of the camp, but I thought it was just soldiers who were training or something.

As I was thinking about it I heard an all too familiar voice coming closer from the woods.

Cross: „What are we going to tell him?"

Stone: „I don't know..."

„Tell whom what?" I interrupted him walking towards them.

They both didn't wear a helmet but the armour they had looked damaged, bent as if they fought just moments ago.

They looked at each other, dumbfounded at first but that changed to sadness.

„Tell whom what!?" I repeated louder because I was already having a premonition of what happened even if not precisely. I knew both of them, but that look Cross had I've only been told about by other soldiers.

Cross POV

„Yesterday our camp was ambushed by nearly a whole clan, out for revenge."

(Y/N): „And where is Mercy?"

„When we found her after the battle she was already unconscious, but..."

(Y/N): „Is she alive goddamnit?" he shouted. His face was filled with rage and concern.

„Yes, she is. The medics say..."

(Y/N): „Then bring me to her!"

„But (Y/N), the guards are doubled..."

(Y/N): „NOW!" he interrupted me again, determination filling his eyes and nearly completely consumed by rage and sorrow.

Again I looked back at Stone who simply nodded. We both saw the flames in his eyes and knew that it'd be pointless to try to stop him.

„Then follow us. We'll distract the guards so you can sneak in the tent."

(Y/N): „Go on ahead then."

~Timeskip~

„She is in that medic tent." I said while pointing at a white tent at the edge of the campsite. There were only two guards outside right now.

Stone: „I'll get them to go away and you take their position." he said to me.

(Y/N): „Then hurry." he grumbled.

Stone ran over to them and yelled something we couldn't really understand. We only saw that he pointed in a direction and showed them to follow him

As soon as they were gone we walked over to the tent. While I took the guards position, (Y/N) silently stepped in the tent.

(Y/N) POV

As I entered the first thing I saw was a medic with his back towards me. He seemed to be completely lost in thought.

I sneaked up behind him and took him inside a headlock and putting one hand over his mouth so he wouldn't just shout for help.

„Semper invicta cum ferrum sanguine ." („Always unbeaten/invincible with iron blood.") I said in my latin tongue. It was an old parole of the Iron Legion that we now used. Only a few who we deemed trustworthy knew the right answer. I slightly lifted my hand so that he could properly respond.

Medic: „Ad Victoriam, eques legionis." („To victory, knight of the legion") was the correct answer.

I let go of him and look around the tent. Some normal medical supplies, tools and two field beds on one of which lied Mercy with multiple bandages around her waist and arms. I turn back to the medic.

„How bad is it?"

Medic: „She has been severely wounded in the battle and was unconscious for a short time she did wake up by now, currently she is just sleeping." he whispered.

???: „I was sleeping."

We both turned to Mercy who was sitting up. I instantly rushed over to her.

„Mercy. What happened? Are you ok?"

Mercy: „Calm down I'm... mostly fine. It still hurts but it's nothing I haven't been through before. And don't worry you'll get your answer soon enough"

Medic: „Excuse me. I should take a look at her wounds quickly. After that, I will wait outside, but her condition is more important for now."

I nodded and sat down on the other bed to make enough room.

He walked over to her and started to remove the bandages one by one and looking at the wounds beneath them. He replaced some of them and left off others.

Medic: „So finished. Like I said last time: Don't move too much. Also means no... entanglement..." he said the last part to both of us.

I was lucky because my helmet hid the slight red that I knew was already on my cheeks. Mercy wasn't that lucky. The dark red on her face was fully visible.

Medic: „I'll go outside now if you need me. And don't worry, I won't tell anyone."

Mercy: „Thank you"

The Medic just nodded and went out of the tent.

„Err... What happened during the battle?" I quickly tried to change the subject.

Mercy: „In the battle, I fought against a couple of these savages. With each fight, I got more wounds, and while fighting the last one, a Berserker I think they call them, I already felt somewhat tired and also dizzy because of some hits on the head by one of these raiders... He was a tough opponent but I was faster than him. I slid under a horizontal swing of his axes and kicked his knee in after quickly regaining my stance. I took my dagger and slit his throat in one quick move. Afterwards, I lightly pushed him forward and watched his body hit the ground.  I looked back up and at the camp that now was a battlefield. Most of them and many of us had already died or were wounded as was I. Slowly my vision was getting blurry and I collapsed to the ground with me completely blacking out. The next thing I remember was waking up here."

„How many did you fight?"

Mercy: „I don't remember. There were too many to count anyway. The way they rushed us... just like the waves rush towards the shore... strong and relentlessly."

„But only until the low tide."

She agreed with a simple nod.

Without a warning, Cross rushed in. „The guards are on their way back. You should go now." He informed me.

I looked back at Mercy.

„I'll meet you again tomorrow. Hopefully, we'll be home by then"

Mercy: „Hopefully."