- Chapter VII -

- Chapter VII -

Teleport away you idiot! My mind screamed at me. Though I tried to ignore it, I eventually gave in and Slenderwalked to hide behind a thick oak trunk. I knew the hunter couldn't see me, but as my heart began to race I was feeling very exposed.

The two sides of my being were warring in my brain as to who gets to decide the human's fate and it was giving me a headache.

Kill her!

Let her pass by...

You want to feel her blood on your hands...

What has she done to you?

You want to see the light leave her eyes...

My thoughts were cluttered and overloading. Black spots appeared in my vision as I felt the tentacles at my back slither out. The murderous side was winning. The other half of my brain, the typically well functioning human morals half, was becoming more and more quiet. Soon it would merely be a hum in the back of my head as my tentacles ripped the hunter to pieces.

Yes! Do it now...

I was seconds away from destroying the girl when a single word burst through my head, up my throat and out of my mouth before I could stop it, "No!"

The girl had just about passed when she whirled around, red curls whipping her face. "Who's there?" She asked nervously. Anger had sparked in her green eyes, but the scent of fear rolled off of her.

I didn't know my body had shifted itself to my human form until I noticed my black hair falling in my face. Without thinking I smoothed my shirt and stepped from behind the tree. The girl had no clue I was there until I tapped her on the shoulder, making her jump.

She turned to face me and as our gazes locked I could see the gears turning in her head. She realized she knew me, but couldn't place from where.

"You know," she finally said after what seemed to be an eternity of awkward eye contact and silence, "stalking a girl in the woods with a gun isn't really wise." She twisted around to show off a riffle strapped behind her left shoulder.

"Bullets can't hurt me." I blurted without thinking. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

She gave me a quizzical look as she began strolling by again. I took up pace next to her and she asked, "So first I catch you drawing the back of my head, and then I find you stalking me in the woods."

She glanced at me, and I could see the look in her green eyes that meant she wanted an explanation. "Oh, yeah. I didn't mean to draw you. I just- When I get bored I start sketching anything in sight, and the back of your head just happened to be available."

"Still doesn't explain why you're in the woods." She said with a chuckle.

"Oh..." I said, trying to think of a reasonable explanation as quickly as possible. For some reason 'I was cooling down because I had an argument with my mom and dad, who happens to be the Slenderman' didn't seem like a believable answer, "I was just sitting." Genius.

She peered around me to see the fallen tree and nodded.

"Why are you here?" I asked. The barest hint of a hiss snuck out with the question and I held my breath, hoping she hadn't noticed.

Thankfully I don't think she did, "Deer." She must have noticed my surprised expression because she explained, "My dad and I like venison and he can't come out to hunt anymore."

"Why not?" I asked out of curiosity.

She was silent until I thought she wasn't going to answer. Finally the tiniest smile crooked at the corner of her mouth, "Long story."

I looked at the sun and noticed that it was getting quite late. My father would be out looking for me soon if I didn't go home, and I didn't need him walking in on his son talking to a human.

"I- I have to go." I said, pointing at the setting sun.

I looked over to see some emotion flash across her eyes, but before I could place it it was gone.

We said our goodbyes, but just before I hid behind a tree to Slenderwalk away, I turned and shouted "Wait!"

The girl turned from the other side of a clearing and cupped a hand around her ear, listening.

"What's your name?" I yelled.

"Violet!" She shouted back. With that, she disappeared into the trees.