When Shadows Burn

What is it like to die?

Standing among the flames, only one thought claimed my mind. What was it like to experience death?

The world faded in and out of darkness. Smoke strangled the air, tainting the sky grey. Flames crackled, sizzling at my back.

A part of my mind screamed at me to run. To flee the burning woods, to find my companions and family.

Shapes raced in and out of the trees. Voices curdling in black speech and cold laughter rang through the thickening air.

Part of my mind was terrified, every thought focused on my survival. Kicked up into the notch of defy death. To flee the hungry flames.

Yet another part was completely at peace.

The flames were warm on my skin. I could no longer even feel the open gash on my leg, the pain fading to nothing but a cool tingling.

In the air, pained screams joined the roaring of the orcs in the forest. Screams of despair, of agony.

They were the screams of my kin.

"Calen!"

The cry snapped me out of my thoughts. Whirling around, I gripped my sword tighter searching the trees.

"Calen, run! Get out of here!"

The voice... I recognized it. Through the smoky haze of death, I blinked slowly, tilting my head.

Then I saw her, a figure racing in my direction. Brown hair flew at her back, panic filling her once dancing green eyes.

"Calen, we need to go! Come on, you fool!"

Her hand wrapped around my arm, yanking me sideways and then we were both running, racing through the trees, the flames licking hungrily at both sides.

There was a sudden flash of black.

Then a roar struck the air and pain exploded through my side. The world flipped and I hit the ground hard, unable to even cry out.

It was the roar of an orc.

A flash of silver caught the reflecting flames and I yanked up my blade just in time-- a metallic clang struck the air as my blade caught the crude axe of a leering orc.

Everything faded in and out of blackness.

"Calen!"

The orc's attention snapped from me to the desperate cry and he shoved himself up, leaping toward the brown-haired elleth.

A pained scream struck the air. The world slowed.

"Nay! Gildor!" Shoving myself up, I leaped at the orc, tackling the creature hard to the ground.

Stars flashed before my eyes as its claws raked down my arms. Glowing eyes flared and the orc roared.

My fingers grasped for my sword, wrapping around the handle. With a cry, I brought the blade up, then down with all my strength.

A sickening crack struck the air and then the orc stopped struggling.

The light faded from its eyes.

Black blood covered my hands but at the moment, it didn't matter. Stumbling up, I raced to the fallen elleth's side, collapsing to my knees in the ashes.

"Gildor, Gildor," I grasped at her hands, searching her bloodied face. "Saese no, saese!"

Her chest rose and fell quickly. Then my eyes fell upon the scarlet blood staining through her tunic-- no.

"Flee, Calen," her soft words were forced. The light in her eyes was fading quickly, a single tear tracing down her cheek. "Go, little brother."

"Nay," I released her hand, desperately pressing my palms over the gash on her torso. "Saese, Gildor don't leave me. Please, Gildor, please!"

But I felt it. Felt her spirit leave her body, felt her breaths slowly fade.

"Gildor!" I lifted her head to my chest, rocking back and forth. The flames crackled-- the screams intensified.

It took me a moment to realize my own scream had joined them.

Flee, Calen.

But it didn't matter. Nothing mattered, the smoke cutting off the breath from my lungs. Flee, Calen!

"Goheno-nin, Gildor. Goheno-nin." The flames drew closer, the heat radiating with a vicious intent.

Death licked at my heels.

Part of my mind screamed for me to run. To leave the body of my sister to the fire and save my own life.

But another part was completely at peace.

"I'm sorry," I held her broken body closer, feeling her own blood stain my tunic. Her blood burned against my skin. "I'm so sorry."

What is it like to die?

The smoke grew thicker, the screams becoming a part of the night. The flames leaped closer but I didn't move, letting the tears fall.

And as the shadows began to burn, I burned with them.

So, this one-shot is actually my entry for the "Battle Under the Trees" contest, created by Stars_Alight

It was quite a fun write, emotion is one of my favorite things to weave into a story. I'd love to hear your guys thoughts!

If you have not checked out "Battle Under the Trees", it is a contest book by Stars. To all of the Tolkienites out there; give it a try!