Oath Bound

Faramir gazed out upon the courtyard.

Soldier milled about, men dressed in silver armor and armed with gleaming swords. One soldier led a white horse through the crowd, the mare laden with packs and supplies.

Closing his eyes, Faramir clasped his hands behind his back. He knew who the horse was for.

"Faramir!"

The voice jolted Faramir out of his thoughts and he turned from the balcony. The man who approached grinned ear to ear, dressed in light armor and a dark cloak.

Despite himself, Faramir grinned back, rolling his eyes. "I wasn't sure I would get a goodbye, Boromir."

He ducked as Boromir swung a lighthearted fist, chuckling around the attempt. "As if I would ever leave without wishing my dear brother farewell."

"Only for a few months?" Faramir tried to smother his grin, his nerves twisting nervously again.

"I will return before the changing of the season, Faramir. I promise."

"I could still go instead, brother," Faramir started slowly. "You are needed here," he frowned slightly. "More than I could ever be."

"Oh, come now."

He looked up as Boromir placed a firm hand on his shoulder, meeting his brother's dancing eyes. "We both know that is not true."

"I cannot lead the men into battle," Faramir shrugged off Boromir's touch, turning back toward the balcony. "Not like you."

"Then don't," Boromir moved to stand beside him.

Faramir shot him a sideways glance, furrowing his brows. "What?"

"Lead them as you would see fit," Boromir gazed down upon the courtyard. "You have a good head, Faramir. Use it."

Despite himself, Faramir chuckled, shaking his head. "You could use a good head, Boromir."

Brown eyes raised and Boromir scoffed, elbowing him in the stomach before Faramir had a chance to duck away.

"Ai!" Gasping, Faramir stumbled away. "What was that for?"

Boromir shrugged, laughing and moving away from the railing of the balcony. "A reminder not to forget me while I am gone."

"I could only be so lucky," Faramir shot back. But he still watched Boromir, then lowered his head. "You better come back."

"When have I ever given you a reason to doubt me?"

Faramir arched an eyebrow. "Should I narrow it down to one? Or would you like the entire list of over a hundred?"

"Alright," Boromir raised his hands, shaking his head. "I'll be safe."

"Swear it."

Boromir snorted but seeing the sincerity in Faramir's eyes, slowly inclined his head. "I will return, Faramir. I will see the White City again."

Faramir clenched his jaw, but slowly nodded. "Then I shall see you before the coming of the next season."

Chuckling, Boromir shook his head, backing toward the door. He swept into a bow, then snorted again. "On my oath, brother dear."

Faramir grinned, watching as the door closed. Then he moved back to the balcony, gazing back down on the courtyard.

The people of Gondor waited, heads turning as Boromir entered the courtyard. Some of them held flowers, throwing them to the cobbles as Boromir mounted the white horse.

Raising his jaw, Faramir swallowed hard, watching his brother ride tall and proud toward the gates.

Boromir didn't look back.

The ringing of chains met the air as the gates clanked open and slowly, Faramir turned away. Closing his eyes, he clasped his hands back behind his back. "Upon your oath, Boromir."

Moving back indoors, he didn't see Boromir look one last time over his shoulder, eyes flicking up the empty balcony.

"I swear it, Faramir," Boromir whispered. "I will see Gondor again."

Bound upon my oath, I shall return.

A/N: I've always imagined Boromir's and Faramir's relationship before the Fellowship. Plus, Boromir never returning to see the White City is just so... *sobs*

I should write a happy one-shot. Any ideas? There is no school today so I'm kind of writing random stuff and being lazy. Great times.