He Was My Friend

Bilbo watched the sunset, smoke drifting from his pipe.

The movements of the Shire were slow and peaceful, like always. The grass was a lush green, the sky a calm, beautiful blue.

Bilbo shifted on his bench, his bones aching with every movement.

Home is now behind you. The world is ahead.

Years and years had gone by-- but the memories never faded. Something inside Bilbo's heart twisted as the breeze picked up, whistling through the grasses.

The world is not in your books and maps, Bilbo. It is out there.

There had been a time when Bilbo would never have stepped out his door. When his many meals and books contented him perfectly.

There had been a time when he didn't carry such memories. Such pain.

Closing his eyes, Bilbo tilted his face toward the sky, lowering his pipe. The smell of smoke filled his nose, his stomach rumbling quietly.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But, sad or merry, I must leave it now.

With trembling fingers, Bilbo started to lift his pipe to his lips once more. But something made him stop... a presence, breezing across his face.

A sudden smile lit across his face. "You came."

Behind him, rocks crunched and Bilbo turned to see sharp blue eyes and a grim smile. The figure inclined his head, "Master Baggins."

Bilbo pushed himself up with a groan, shaking his pipe to quench the smoke. "It has been too long, my friend. I was starting to worry you had forgotten about me.

"I don't think that would be possible, Bilbo." The dark-haired dwarf's face was pained and for a moment, he seemed to flicker in and out of eyesight, like smoke.

Then he smiled tightly, stepping toward the bench.

"Of course not," Bilbo scooted sideways and the dwarf sank down beside him. "For I haven't forgotten about you, Thorin."

The muscles in the dwarf's face clenched at that, his eyes flashing. He nodded slowly, gazing out upon the Shire.

The quiet stretched for a moment and Bilbo sighed contentedly.

"Tell me, Master Baggins," Thorin's voice was soft as he spoke up. Wispy, like the wind itself. "How does it fare?"

It.

Bilbo followed the dwarf's gaze down to the great oak growing over the creek, shedding shade upon the gurgling water.

Plant your trees. Watch them grow.

He raised his chin, a smile lighting up his face. "Tall and strong."

Thorin closed his eyes, taking a slow, shaky breath. For a moment, he was gone, then slowly flickered back into form. "That is good."

Bilbo chuckled, nodding. "It is."

His stomach suddenly rumbled, shattering the quiet air. Looking sideways at the dwarf, Bilbo smiled widely, pushing himself up. "What say we get some dinner?"

But Thorin didn't move. His solemn gaze didn't break from the tree, pain once more painting across his face.

"Thorin?" Bilbo shuffled nervously. "Is something wrong?"

When the blue eyes turned back to him, they seemed to have aged a hundred years. Thorin's form flickered again and for a moment, he was covered in blood, the life fading from his eyes.

"N-no," Bilbo stumbled back, terror and shock crashing down upon him in waves. "Thorin?"

Farewell, Master Burglar.

But then the dwarf was whole again, the color returning to his face. Thorin forced a smile, although it was wearied. "Oh, Bilbo."

"I--I--" Bilbo fumbled over his words, trying to comprehend what he had just seen. "What just--?"

Slowly, Thorin pushing himself up. His gaze drifted back to the oak, and then over his shoulder, to the quiet and peaceful hobbit hole.

"Thorin?" Bilbo stepped forward, gazing at his friend. "What is happening?"

When Thorin gazed back at him, Bilbo felt the weight of the world. One second, there was blood on the dwarf's face. Then it was gone.

"This must end, Biblo," Thorin lowered his head, staring at his hands "You must let go."

"I-- I don't understand," Bilbo's pipe slipped from his trembling fingers, falling to the rocks. The world was spinning.

"The road goes ever on," Thorin's voice was but a whisper. "But I am not a part of this world anymore."

"N... no." A single tear slipped down Bilbo's cheek and he stared.

Suddenly he saw them all; the arrows in the brothers, their lifeless eyes turned up to the night sky. Then Thorin, dying on the bed.

But, sad or merry, I must leave it now.

Bilbo closed his eyes, clasping a hand over his mouth. "Oh, no."

"Go back to your fireplace, Master Burglar." Thorin's voice was soft. "To your books, your armchair. But you must let this pain go."

Bilbo's eyes snapped open again and he slowly lowered his hand. Another tear streaked down his cheek. "You're not really here, are you?"

Thorin gazed at him sadly and didn't say a word. But the silence was an answer in itself.

Slowly, Bilbo swallowed. He lowered his eyes, gazing down at his feet, then blinked hard, fumbling for the handkerchief in his pocket.

But it wasn't there.

"I--" Bilbo choked back tears, his hands trembling. "I seem to have forgotten my handkerchief inside."

There was no answer.

Slowly, Bilbo looked up. The pathway was empty, the breeze whistling through the grasses.

The peace of the Shire was as disrupted as it had been all evening.

"You're not here," he whispered to himself, fighting back a sob. "He's gone and you are a fool, Bilbo Baggins."

Yet faintly, Bilbo felt it-- a presence, breezing across his face.

And he smiled through his tears, gazing over his shoulder down at the oak growing over the creek. The branches swayed in the wind.

Plant your trees. Watch them grow.

"Tall and strong," Bilbo whispered. "It grows tall and strong."

A/N: Well, school is out for teacher strikes, which means I have a bunch of time to do some writing. Been in a bit of a writer's block slump lately, but this seemed to help.

Anyway, I would love to hear what you guys thought!

In book relation, I based the deaths of Thorin and Kili/Fili off of how they died in the books, not the movie. I was in a mood and was reading the Hobbit today so... here we are *grins weakly*

Thank you for reading and if you have a request, shout it out!