Chapter 28

Chapter 28

One day as we were finishing the CD, I was in the booth with Piero, filming him intently as he finished re-recording certain sections of a new song.

“How’s that?” he asked as he finished and slid off his headphones.

“Perfect!” Renis said, giving him a thumbs-up. “Guys…That’s a wrap!”

“Really!?” Piero called, and outside the booth Ignazio leaped up and cheered, and Gianluca followed suit. They hugged and then ran to the producers and Michele to hug them, and Piero started happy-dancing in the booth until Gianluca and Ignazio burst in and pulled him into a hug too. They all started whooping and high-fiving and jumping around, and I sat silently in my corner, shaking with excitement as I captured the moment the CD was deemed finished. This would be an important part of my documentary, and I could see it coming together before my eyes!

Ignazio thankfully waited until I had set down the camera to race forward and pull me up into his arms and into the whooping mass of cheering boys.

I laughed and cheered with them, and then after a minute we all left the sound booth and I grabbed my camera and started filming the excitement again.

“What happens next?” I asked Gatica.

“Now we piece together the music. Soon we’ll all listen to the finished CD together.”

“Brilliant!” I said, and when I lowered the camera Ignazio swept me up into his arms and kissed me.

*****

Several days later, we gathered together in the studio and sat quietly as Gatica and Renis put on the full CD. I sat against the wall to be able to get everyone on my camera screen and filmed for a while, getting the boys’ approving smiles and nods at their own music. After a while I sat the camera down beside me to listen and take it all in. I leaned my head on my fist and was quiet and still, fingering the camera strap as I listened to the music my life was currently set to.

It was absolutely gorgeous, and I closed my eyes, entranced, remembering the first time I had realized my responsibility as their photographer. I smiled as I remembered everything I had done with them since then, the beauty I had thankfully gotten entangled with.

With this thought, I opened my eyes and looked at Ignazio across the room and found he was looking at me already and smiling softly. When he saw me looking back his smile widened, and he wordlessly pushed at Piero to get him to move over on the couch. Then he reached out his hands, and I smiled and got up from the floor, leaving my camera beside Michele’s chair.

I soundlessly crossed the floor and sat beside Ignazio, who wrapped his arm around my shoulders and quietly leaned toward me to sweetly kiss my cheek and whisper teasingly in my ear, “I think I like this pop music. How about you?”

I rolled my eyes and stifled a laugh, and I then held my finger to my lips. He smiled brightly and leaned back against the couch, closing his eyes to keep listening, and he smiled when he felt me lean against him.

When the last notes ended, we all sat silently together for a few minutes, thinking, staying in our trance. I looked around at everyone and then at Ignazio, who stopped gazing into the distance to smile back at me.

“It’s brilliant!” I said to the group, breaking the silence, and Ignazio laughed and hugged me. Then Piero and Gianluca laughed, and we were all laughing in joyful excitement.

“I agree wholeheartedly, Tamzin!” Renis said, and as they started to discuss production and distribution of the album, I collected my camera and sat beside Ignazio again, listening intently to their plans.