Chapter 47

Chapter 47

The next morning as soon as I opened my eyes I was wide awake, getting dressed and ready to go to the N.G. Headquarters. My mind was racing and I couldn’t relax, knowing that by the end of the day I would either be with Ignazio or I would have missed him. I had my plane ticket already, and I kept pacing throughout the hotel room worrying and waiting until it was time leave for the Headquarters.

Time was ticking by, unrelenting. My flight was leaving at two-thirty, and it would arrive in Los Angeles at exactly seven, the same time as the start of the concert. I wondered what the boys were doing now, if they were still at their hotel or if they were at an interview or rehearsal in the theatre.

I was dressed in my Il Volo T-shirt, the one I had designed, with my red coat over it and jeans. I put on the diamond necklace Ignazio had given me before the AMAs as a sort of good-luck charm, and I pulled on my red high-tops before I left the hotel.

I took a cab to the Headquarters, and much too long after my arrival I was sitting across the desk from an executive of N.G.

“Well, Ms. Montgomery,” he said, sliding a contract and pen across the table. “We are sure that you will want to continue with us, with the way we’ve heard how you feel about our organization. Monica has reported that you are a very passionate worker, and I’ve personally looked through your photos. We’d be very pleased to have you with us for the next year.”

“Thank you very much, but I’m sorry,” I said, sliding the contract back across the table to his surprise, “There’s somewhere else I need to be. But if you send me some flash drives, I’ll duplicate all of the landscapes I’ve ever taken and send them to National Geographic to use how you see fit.” Taking a piece of paper from my pocket and handing it to him, I said, “Here’s a list of all the places I’ve photographed. I hope you’ll take advantage of my offer.”

He was surprised and bewildered that I was leaving, but he tried to be understanding, though he seemed very disappointed. He did take me up on my offer, and I agreed to contact the company when I could.

I left the Headquarters and paused before hailing a taxi, turning and looking for the last time at what I had thought was the entryway to my dreams. And maybe it was, because it was through this company that I learned where I truly wanted to be. I smiled at the huge white curving building reaching into the March sky and smiled, offering the place a good-bye wave.

Then I turned away and got my taxi, reviewing my plan yet again in my mind and counting down the hours I had until the concert.

*****

I sat in the airplane concourse with my suitcase and camera bag, trying and failing to relax as I waited until I could board the plane. I could feel the silent rush of the race as the time hurried forward and I sat idly in the airport, checking the clock again and again. People bustled all around me and it was noisy, and I sat quietly reviewing my plan. It was almost two, and I jiggled my leg impatiently and thought about arriving at the concert over and over again, my mind racing with worry. As soon as I landed in Los Angeles, I would take a cab straight to the theatre and bring my luggage with me, not wasting any time finding Il Volo. The tour schedule was in my pocket, and I kept feeling it as if reassuring myself that I knew where they were going to be, and that everything would be okay.

I was trying to keep reminding myself that everything was going to work out. I’d arrive in Los Angeles at seven, seven-thirty at the latest, and then I’d have an hour or hopefully even two to get to the theatre. I remained positive and hopeful, until the airport announced something that struck me to the core and chilled me with horror.