Chapter I

Chapter One: Old Losses, Always Remembered

Hancock stared down from the balcony he stood upon, finishing his speech to the people of Goodneighbor below.

"Of the people, for the people!" The people cheered, repeating those words. The words that slipped that one day he became mayor.

He turned, opening the door and walking back inside. Going over to his private room, the table by the couch had several types of chems on it. Grabbing the mentats he popped open the case, throwing the pieces into his mouth.

Sitting down on the couch he stuffed his hand into his pocket, fishing for a specific item. Grabbing ahold of a chain, he pulled out the necklace from his pocket.

"My sunshine..." He mumbled the engravings, it was a present. So long ago, he was embarrassed to wear such a thing. Still kind of is, but he kept it with him. As a charm, and as a symbol.

He'd never forget.

Never forget the girl who helped him, a friend, and his first real crush.

God... crush. Now, a word like that sounded mushy, odd on his tongue. He changed, was different. Though he couldn't push away any bits of sorrow that he felt whenever looking at it.

He lost her, that was the first thing that always ran through his mind when he looked at the necklace.

He wouldn't openly admit to most that he slept with the necklace around his neck, on nights that he could anyway.

"Life just ain't fair." He reminded himself, placing back the necklace into the safety of his pocket. "It ain't fair."

•▪°○°▪•

You ran through the gates of Diamond city. Feet colliding with the ground in each step, carrying you as fast as you  could.

Cursing under your breath when the sounds of two guards following entered your hearing.

You shouldn't have done it, was what ran through your mind, but you did. You helped those poor people and in return you were deemed traitor. You cursed the damned mayor's name. Ducking when gunshots ran out.

You were losing your breath, you had to lose them.

As you ran into an alley, you turned a sharp right. An old car lot. Great. Just peachy.

You eyes widened, coughed blood, and fell to the ground.

They got you, shot you twice.

You collided with the floor, and for the briefest of moments you thought of everything you did. Everyone you met and helped. Deciding you didn't regret you decisions.

"She dead?"

"She will be. Those wounds will bleed out. This place is abandoned and she doesn't have a single stimpack. Lets go inform the mayor."

The sounds of footsteps faded as did your conscious.
_

With a jolt you sat up, sweat dripped down your temple and you shivered.