Old Ally

The two stayed there a while, staring at the horizon and whispering to each other about how they met.

The sun was low in the sky when Aurora finally suggested, "We should probably get going; look for another place to stay?"

Oblivion nodded and stood up, making sure to keep off his back leg. He glanced around at the meadow's rolling hills and beautiful flowers.  

"I'm glad we found the tree again. This was really nice," he commented, nodding at the oak.

Aurora smiled, agreeing with him.

The two started down the hill, the grass tickling their legs and stomachs.

They walked mostly in silence, unsure of where they would go next.

"Any ideas?" The Espeon asked once the two had made it out of the meadows, now walking on dirt paths near the village.

"Hmm... oh!" Oblivion halted as his face lit up.

"I have a friend that lives nearby. His name is Reef, he's a Vaporeon. Reef always told us – me and Cinder, who he knew wanted to escape as well – about a hut near this village he wanted to run away to. He bailed from the Shadowseekers long before I did, and I haven't seen him in so long. I'm pretty sure he'd be able to help us."

Aurora hopped up and down. "Perfect! I'm excited to meet him. Is your leg okay?" 

Oblivion glanced at the limb, wrapped in the leaf bandages. He gave his girlfriend a smile. "Yeah, it's fine. Follow me, I think I know where it is."

»∫ı∫«

The sun shone on the sturdy-built wooden house that sat at the end of the dirt path. The door was cyan and the sides were decorated with windows.

"This is a beautiful house," Aurora remarked in awe. "No wonder Reef wanted to come back here."

From beside her, Oblivion nodded, a smile forming on his mouth. "He was a great friend. I hope he'd be willing to help us... I don't know how much he's changed over the years."

The two admired the house in awe. For a thing that was so perfectly hidden in the trees, it was in a spot that the sunlight filtered through the leaves, sweeping down and making the windows shine.

Oblivion inhaled. 

"Here goes nothing," he murmured. Keeping as much weight as possible off his injured leg, he hopped up the two steps and knocked on the cyan door with his paw.

Aurora waited hopefully, ascending the stairs a few moments later.

A loud clattering inside was heard as the single resident of the home panically made his way to the door.

The lock opened and the door creaked.

"Beware the seeker of darkness," Oblivion grinned at his old friend.

"Well, I never," a male voice from inside gasped. The door opened fully and the two Eeveelutions saw a middle-aged, washed-out-orange Vaporeon standing dumbstruck.

"Is that you, Oblivion?" Reef asked, his voice not as gravelly or gruff as Aurora had expected; more youthful and hopeful.

"It sure is, my friend," the Umbreon replied.

Reef didn't hesitate to pull his old friend into a hug, throwing his arms around him.

"I'm so glad you're here," the Vaporeon murmured. "I missed you and Cinder."

Reef's expression turned to that of alarm as he pulled back, glancing around frantically. "Where is Cinder?"

His gaze landed on Aurora, and he seemed to notice her for the first time. "Who's this?" He asked, whisking outside and taking the Espeon's paw in his own.

Aurora smiled, appearing more feminine than Oblivion had thought before. "I'm Aurora," she introduced herself. "Oblivion's told me a lot about you. He and I met a few years ago."

She eyed the Umbreon, urging him to use the story as a segue to the favour.

Oblivion cleaned his throat awkwardly. "Uh, yes, Reef? We're here for a reason."

The Vaporeon whirled around again. "The Shadowseekers? Are they onto me? Did you bring them here?"

His voice got higher with each question, and Aurora thought, this Eeveelution is so paranoid for someone who's been living alone all this time.

"No! No, I promise, Reef, the Shadowseekers are far, far away from here," Oblivion reassured his old friend.

How true is that? 

Reef hesitated before starting towards his door.

"Follow me, both of you. Catch me up on everything once we're inside."

»∫ı∫«

"So, that's it, I guess," Oblivion finished, eating another Oran Berry.

"That's everything?" Reef asked, and Aurora nodded from the other side of the Umbreon, confirming it.

Reef slumped back in his chair. "Wow. You two must be exhausted."

Aurora shared a smile with Oblivion. "I guess," the Umbreon shrugged. "So... is it okay if we stay here for a few days?"

Reef nodded, smiling. "Of course! Stay here as long as you'd like," the Vaporeon reassured, jumping down from his chair. "And even when you leave, my home is yours whenever you need it. Come on, I'll show you to your room."

The two Eeveelutions followed the orange Vaporeon through the cottage, who showed them a small room next to his own. It was a cosy room with a large double bed, the walls made of dark oak.

"Thank you so much," Oblivion leapt onto the small bed, curling up and yawning. "I didn't realise how late it was."

Reef dipped his head, unable to stop his smile. "For my old friend? Always."

The orange sunlight glinted in through the windows, giving the room an orange aesthetic light as Oblivion's friend padded around the wall. 

Wasting no time, the two remaining Eeveelutions hopped up onto the bed, Oblivion gingerly keeping off his hurt leg. 

"How is it?" Aurora asked. Oblivion curled his head around and sniffed at the bandages, inspecting them. 

"I'll live," he offered a small smile. 

Aurora chuckled. "How crazy have these past days been, huh?" She asked. "We've been all over the place."

Oblivion exhaled. "Fighting off drunk-on-love Eeveelutions..."

Aurora leant against him. "Getting closer, despite all?"

Oblivion turned his head, and red eyes met purple ones.

"That's us," he smiled. 

The sun dipped lower in the sky, and when the cicadas started their song, the two fell asleep side by side.